Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My best mate was euthanized today, process went wrong, now I’m scared his final moments were painfu.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Burkieb0y, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Burkieb0y

Burkieb0y PetForums Newbie

Hi All.

I’ve had ‘Scrap’ since I was 12 years old, today I’m 28 and he lived an AMAZING 16 years of life, he struggled with his legs and had quite bad dementia, to the point he would be extremely unsettled at night.

After an extremely hard week for scrap, my parents rang to say it was time for him to be put down this morning, due to having to isolate I said I would go to make sure he knows a loving family member during the process.

this is where it gets extremely hard for me, after saying my final goodbyes the vet to scrap in for his cannula, I then asked for scrap to be cuddled into myself before anything happens, the first syringe was inserted but scrap was still barking and panting, having been through this before with my first dog I KNEW this wasn’t right and asked what happened!

the vet said the cannula may have come out, although no liquid was dripping on myself, they took my best mate into the back to refit the cannula, I asked for him to be sedated if they couldn’t fit it in properly, so that they were not hurting him, after 10 mins, they brought him back to me sedated in a sleep, gave him a second dose but again his heart was still going, this broke me, it’s like he didn’t want to leave me and I’m in bits constantly thinking about it, it got to the point where the vet asked if I wanted to wait 5-10 mins to see if it runs it’s course or if I would approve a direct injection to the heart, so I said to inject his heart as I was scared he was in pain, this is when he gave one final snore and then went to his resting place.

Guilt is eating away at me, the fact he wasn’t sedated the first time, did he feel any pain, was he hurting whilst the vet was trying to sedate him for the next attempt! My head and heart are in bits, has anyone had a similar experience or is there someone who knows the medical side and can put my mind at ease that my best mate wasn’t struggling in pain?!

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I am so sorry for your loss. Try not to dwell on the feelings of guilt. You friend is at peace now after a life time of love. Take care of yourself.

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

So sorry for your loss :(

If he was sedated he won’t have known anything.

Happy Paws2, Sarah H and LinznMilly like this.
  4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

So sorry for your loss.

He was sedated, so he wasn't in any pain.

16 is a great age. He's at peace now, no more pain.

Be kind to yourself. Virtual hugs.

Sarah H and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry. When my cat was PTS just over a year ago it was not very peaceful either, so I know how distressing it is. But in time you'll remember those final minutes less and start remembering all the good memories more. Take care.

6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I'm sorry you feel his last moments weren't as peaceful as you'd imagined. But as already mentioned if he was sedated he would have been fast asleep and not in any pain. Take time to grieve but try not to dwell on the last moments but the fun you had with your friend over the years.

7. margy

margy PetForums VIP

I'm very sorry for your loss and how distressing it was for you. I also had to have my old girl pts last year and she didn't go peacefully either. It is a horrible experience and all I can do is remind myself that the vet assured me she wasn't aware, and that I did my best for her as you did for your Scrap.

#7 margy, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  8. rottieboys

rottieboys PetForums Senior

I am so sorry for your loss having an animal pts its is horrendous. My Max who hated the vets, had to have his muzzle on. He was so scared and frighten with what was going on. The lovely lady vet sedated him, I was sitting on the floor when he put his head on my lap as he was now laying down, she asked if we were ready before the final injection was put in. You have given Scrap a wonderful life. But like the others have said once they sedated him he would not have been aware. Think happy times you all had and his character.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice