Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

MY BEARDED DRAGON HAS TURNED VICIOUS

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by Sobas, May 29, 2020.

1. Sobas

Sobas PetForums Newbie

Hey! My male bearded dragon (Spike) is 1 year old and from day one he has always been loving, gentle, always healthy, happy and running around the house. Other than head bobbing, he has never shown any other signs of aggression or anger by hissing or puffing his chin up etc.
    Around 5 months ago we had to bring a 2 year old miniature dachshund into our care as his owners were unable to care for him. Although they were both nervous and unsure of eachother at first, they soon became friends and became very comfortable with eachother, lying in the sun together etc.
    However, a couple of weeks ago my dog was lay on the floor, minding his own business and chewing his bone, when my beardie came out of his viv, and charged at my dog with his beard black and puffed up and his mouth open which I understand to be a bearded dragons attack. That behaviour lasted for just a day but it was never provoked because the dog was out of the way of Spike. Because it only lasted for a short period of time i assumed it was just a hormone change or something im not sure. However, today he came out of his viv again with my dog lying in the same spot chewing his bone yet again, and my beardie ran and tried to attack again, my dog backed away and moved to the other side of the room then my beardie chased him and tried to attack again.

I have no idea what is causing this behaviour because they've always been close and they are always supervised so i know that the dog has not done anything to my beardie. I wondered if it could be jealousy because my beardie was my only pet for several months so he received all of my attention, but since caring for the dog, the dog has taken up a lot of my time because he was not trained properly as a puppy so he constantly does his toilets inside or chews things. But i was unsure whether lizards feel that sort of affection for someone? Does anybody know why he could be acting out like this?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Tbh I wouldn’t expect them to be compatible so I would ensure they are kept well away from each other.

Linda Weasel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice