Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My barking dog.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by cupcake, Mar 3, 2008.

1. cupcake

cupcake PetForums Member

Hiya.
    I have a jack russell called archie, hes 5 years old but was only neutered a couple of years ago.
    He barks alot and I really don't like it as I have sensative ears and loud noises are intensified to becoming almost unbearable.
    He barks at people walking past, vans parked outside, other dogs, when my budgies make loud noises and when visitors/the postman comes.

When the postman comes he also tries his best to get to the mail as it comes through the door (although we have a mail cage now so he can't shred it up like he used to).

How can I stop him barking? thanks x

2. Katherna

Katherna PetForums Senior

I've been going through this with my dog, if she was a lot smaller I'd say she was a yappy terrier. She thinks the street is her domain and will bark at anyone who enters it. It's only in the last few days she seems to have got the idea that people can be in the street and neighbours gardens without her having to bark (I've had her almost 3 years now and she's always done thins). I had tried everything I could think of and gone back to basics several times all with no success. I posted on here and was offered some really good advice, we went back to basics once again and suddenly when she was told quiet she actually stopped barking and didn't bark at a stranger after being told quiet. She barked at someone in my neighbours garden today and I told her quiet and she stopped again. It is possible to stop this behaviour and I'm not sure what the magic was with Katie as like I've said I tried everything several times but suddenly something has obviously clicked in her brain and she now understands what is expected of her. Good luck and I'm sure the kind people on here will be able to offer you lots of advice. :)

3. cupcake

cupcake PetForums Member

Thankyou :)
    x

4. carol

carol PetForums VIP

you also can get a spray collar that will spray a lemon mist everytime your dog goes to bark, they soon stop as they dont like the smell, it works well

5. cupcake

cupcake PetForums Member

Wow, where can I get one from? x

6. carol

carol PetForums VIP

pet shops have them or on line will

7. carol

carol PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice