Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My Babys First Season

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by mollys_mummy, Jun 15, 2010.

1. mollys_mummy

mollys_mummy PetForums Junior

My baby dog, Molly has just come into her first season today.

I have referred to my breed book but it has very little information in it, so i wonder if anyone could give me any advice on whether or not there is anything special i need to do, what behaviour to expect, how much blood there should be (there seems alot but maybe its just she has alot of fur?) and will she feel any pain?

I've never had a female dog before, i'm not worried but i just want to know as much about it as possible and there seems to be alot of knowlegable people on here.

Many thanks in advance

2. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

The season should last about 3weeks. The blood should change to straw coloured around week 2 and this is when she will be most receptive to males so be extra cautious. The last week she should be coming out of heat.

When bella was in heat I think she was in pain. She was very depressed and didn't want to play. I only walked her on lead, preferably at odd hours in places with no other dogs. Perefably drive to walk to avoid leaving a scent trail outside your house so the males suitors don't camp outside your house.

3. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Molly had her first season a few weeks ago and like you i had no idea what to expect my others are boys, tbh other than the odd spotting and he swelling she was no different out on walks, running around ball chasing had lost no interest in anything like some do.The worst bit was on the 2nd week when she was standing for everything in site tail on one side she was a real tart :D she drove one of my other dogs mad wouldnt leave him alone. So i wouldnt worry it passes and they are all different.:)

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Hi,

I think it effects them all a bit differently. Heidi was v clean and only a couple of spots on her bed throughout. Didnt really seem to know what was going on. Perfectly normal in herself apart from the constant cleaning.

I walked her where I knew it would be quiet and kept her on the lead until I was sure that we were alone and continually checked her recall but no problems offlead. Always carried her to the road or the car so that there was no evidence back to the house.

I waited until the swelling was completely gone before going back to normal.

Hope Molly will find hers as easy as Heidi's x

5. mollys_mummy

mollys_mummy PetForums Junior

thank you evryone for your advice, so far she seems to be fine still dashing about like a mad thing and terrorising the cats so thats normal.

really appreciate the advice!

6. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

My bella came into season 10 days ago and it's been awful!!

She's bleeding VERY heavily and was so swollen that I took her to vets yesterday as she couldn't sit down!! Turns out she's got infection and swelling is causing great pain-she will only allow me near her bum end! So is now on antib's and painkillers :( I'm having to wash bedding twice a day-I've switched to old towels for now it's that bad.

She's very quiet and clingy as well and really not interested in walks at all poor girl :( this is my first (and last) experience of a season. X

7. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Holly's having her first season, and she's doing pretty good, the odd spotting here and there, but she's keeping herself clean. She's a little grouchy because she can't be free walked for a while, so she's getting more training :)

8. littledigger

littledigger PetForums Member

Our little Charlie has started her first season and started to dribble blood today. She is also off her food and didn't eat her breakfast this morning (which usually goes down like a vacuum).:D But i am anxious as she probably is. She is swollen but in no pain, very clingy and when the OH went to the shop yesturday, she sat by the front door and cried, before lying down and waiting for OH to return.

I want to have her spayed so now i'll have to wait until this is over first.

Attached Files:

#8 littledigger, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  9. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Aww, your little girl is growing up!! I remember when Heidi had hers, she was eight months old and its a milestone. She was v little bother, kept herself v clean and the weeks passed slowly but hic cup free.

Lots prefer them to have a least one season first and then to wait 3 months before having them spayed. - thats what I did.

Hope Charlie is soon back to her old self.

10. littledigger

littledigger PetForums Member

Aw. Thats lovely. Thanks for your kind advice. :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice