Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My baby sooty x

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Hieland, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Hieland

Hieland PetForums Junior

Hiya.. My cat sooty is 7 to 8wks pregnant.. I've a couple a questions that need answering from u lovely people if possible?.. Sooty wants to go out.. But I really don't want to.. What do u think? Also she keeps licking her sides alot and also getting into little nooks and cranks that she has never bothered with before!. Plus doesn't like me touching her tummy anymore is this normal? I have a nesting box ready for sooty which she does use already.. Thanks for reading and I hope what I'm trying to ask makes sense! Thanks x:p

2. catsmum

catsmum PetForums Member

as owner its your choice ultimately, but no way would my heavily pregnant cat be out roaming the streets.

3. Hieland

Hieland PetForums Junior

I haven't let her outside the cat flap is down.. Just worried that sooty is getting more stressed trying to get out the flap?

4. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

If she's desperately trying to get out she may not be long before she has her babies, and she's trying to get out to find a place to have them?? :)

I wouldn't let her out as she may not come back before she has them, dont think it can do her any harm keeping her in :) but anyone that knows different please feel free to correct :D

5. Myanimalmadhouse

Myanimalmadhouse PetForums VIP

Im a big advocate for cats being able to go outside when possible/practical.

However with your cat being soo close to being due I wouldn't really recommend it - as someone said before she may find somewhere she prefers to have the kittens outside then she wont come back :eek:

Put something in front of the catflap so she cant even see it, it will calm her down and she'll get the message, also give her some extra fuss (if she wants it) and some bits of chicken or other tastey treat wouldn't go amiss either :001_smile:

6. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

There are three problems with letting pregnant cats out and at the end of the day you are the one to weigh up the risks against the stress. The risks are farily obvious really. 1. If she gets run over and killed then obvously you lose the kittens as well. 2. If she gets run over and injured, with an injury such as a fractured pelvis, and the kittens survive, the only way they are coming out is by caesarean section 3. If the weather is half decent she may decide to have them outside - this has happened to me twice and to my parents once and believe me it is very distressing when you have no idea where the kittens are or even if they are still alive. Don't think she will lead them to you, she won't. One of mine once hid four kittens in the house for 10 days; when she finally emerged with them I was absolutely flabbergasted, I had been totally convinced they were dead.

Liz

7. Hieland

Hieland PetForums Junior

Thanxs for all the advice.. I shall be keeping her in as I have
    been doing.. I know she will thank me in the end ( I hope anyway) x

8. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

I would definitely keep her in, to get her used to being inside as she will need to be kept inside until the kittens are weaned and she can be spayed, or she will become pregnant again. It is best for her to stay inside.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice