Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My Alfie's has to have an operation

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Alli and Trixy, May 12, 2010.

1. Alli and Trixy

Alli and Trixy PetForums Junior

Since I last posted I got another Shih tzu called Alfie he is lovely complete opposite to my other villian Trixy.
    Alfie is only 9 month old and ive noticed when he is lying down when he gets up he is stiff and limping, last week I had him out and he collapsed and couldnt walk.
    I took him to the vets and they give him an x-ray, they have told me his legs are deformed and growing outwards, ten to two feet I call it.
    They says he can have an opperation to fix it, snap his bones into place, so they go straight.
    Has anyone heard of this opperation? If so was it bad?
    xxx

2. rona

rona Guest

I would imagine that it would be a similar operation to TPLO with a similar recovery period

3. Alli and Trixy

whats TPLO?
    Also they says his hip keeps popping out of place but they can only treat him with pain killers :sad: xx

4. rona

rona Guest

TPLO is used for dogs with cruciate tears, they cut the bone and reshape it and put a plate in.
    The recovery is quite painful for the first week and takes 16 weeks to start even looking at normal walks.
    If your dogs quality of life would be improved by the suggested operation, then I don't think you have a choice but to go ahead.

5. JeannieB

JeannieB PetForums Junior

Poor old Alfie!

Let us know how he gets on.

Bless him

6. Alli and Trixy

16 weeks :eek6:
    Im going back to the vets on Tuesday to talk about it and I will know more.
    Its going to be very hard as Trixy is very energetic and doesnt leave Alfie alone, its going to be hard to keep them separated.
    I will let you know the outcome on Tuesday xx

7. rona

rona Guest

Baby gates are a godsend :thumbup:
    Will be waiting for the news

8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Really sorry to hear this. Hope tuesday brings some good news.

9. Alli and Trixy

Update on Alfie..
    Had him to the vets today, he has to have a bilateral ulnar osteotorny.
    On his both front legs, the vet says I wont be taking him out for at least 6 weeks.
    I asked what would happen if he didnt have the opp, she says its best he does have it or will suffer arthritis but having this there is a 90% chance he wont get it early.
    Only problem now is keeping my other mad dog away from him, any suggestions!! Im thinking of getting a puppy pen for him but which one! xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice