Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

My Adult Dog Pees In The House After Going Out

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by M0US3, Jan 4, 2018.

1. M0US3

M0US3 PetForums Newbie

I have a dog that's around 2 years old and about 4 and a half months ago, my sister took home a new dog. She used to sleep in a small crate where my dog couldn't see her very well. Now she sleeps in an enormous crate beside my dog's crate. Now whenever my sister takes her dog outside in the morning, my dog will lift his leg up and pee in the other dog's crate. Now mind you, I usually wake up way before my sister (maybe an hour or two), and I take my dog out as soon as I wake up. Even if I took him out twice or didn't give him water for whatever reason, he still pees in the other dog's crate! As far as I know he has no bladder problems, so I'm very concerned about his behavior. He loves the other dog, but he doesn't trust my sister, so I don't know if that information is relevant to the problem or not.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Has he been castrated?

This sounds like scent marking.

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

As Sweety says it sounds behavioural - scent marking.

Can’t you prevent the dog from gettting to the puppy’s crate?

4. M0US3

M0US3 PetForums Newbie

His crate is right beside hers. He just lifts his leg up while in his own crate and pees across into hers.

5. M0US3

M0US3 PetForums Newbie

I don't have the money to castrate him yet, but I'm going to apply for a job soon so I can get that done.

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Why don't both dogs get let out to the toilet together by whoever is up first?

That would surely stop the problem because he will pee in the garden?

Do they get fed at different times too?

How long are they spending in their crates?

Water should never be withheld btw.

7. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Why not just move one of the crates so they are no longer next to each other? Or perhaps cover the crates to hopefully remove the temptation to pee (or if your dog does pee then a cover will prevent the pee from travelling)?

8. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

And wash the area where he has been weeing with an enzymatic cleaner to completely remove the scent, otherwise he will be tempted back.

Is your sister's dog spayed? If not, what are your plans for separate living arrangements when she comes into season? It would be terribly frustrating for your entire male to be kept near her when she is in season.

Sairy likes this.
  9. M0US3

M0US3 PetForums Newbie

I generally take my dog out before hers because I'm awake before her and we go to bed at different times.
    If my sister isn't home by the time I feed my dog then they get fed at the same time, which is quite often.
    They're only in their crates at night and on my ride to school. After that, my mom lets them out.
    I know, I was just running low on options. For the most part I don't keep water away from him.

10. M0US3

M0US3 PetForums Newbie

She isn't spayed yet, but my sister says she is planning on scheduling an appointment for that. Also I'm saving up money to get my dog castrated.

11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You could have bigger problems when that bitch comes into season.

You will have a hell of a job keeping them apart.

What do you plan to do about that?

ouesi likes this.
  12. M0US3

M0US3 PetForums Newbie

My sister will probably be moved out by then, and she'll be taking her dog with her. However, we are still working on getting both dogs fixed regardless.

13. M0US3

M0US3 PetForums Newbie

Update: My dog chewed a hole through his crate and tore a hole in the carpet so he could pee in it while we weren't looking. My sister went to take him out, but he just went in his crate. When she came back in a few minutes later, he was peeing in the crate and it was draining into the hole he made.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice