Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My 6 month old kitten only weighs 2lbs

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by VixB, Mar 22, 2011.

1. VixB

VixB PetForums Junior

I've just started worrying about my kitten. She is just 6 months old and I've weighed her on my kitchen scales and she only weighs 2lbs!! She appears perfectly healthy, is very active and playful, looks perfectly healthy but is really tiny! I honestly hadnt really thought about it but a few people have seen her the last week or so and have commented on how small she is, this has started me worrying, I've then started googling and realised she is a lot smaller than is average. She is freely fed on Royal Canin Kitten 36, her bowl is never empty so I do not think she is under nutritioned. I have booked her in at ours vets for a check up on Saturday. She has been monitored by our vet since we got her, the last time she was there was January and the vet had no concerns about her then so hopefully I'm worrying unnecessarily. She is a blue British Shorthair, we saw her mother, she was an average sized cat and the breeder told us that her father was a very big cat but we didn't see him so can't be sure. She is just getting her adult teeth, has double fangs at the moment, so I do think she is developing normally, I'm just hoping that she is naturally a small built cat and nothing is wrong with her, we love her a lot!! :(

2. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

are you sure that you've weighed her right thats about 900g?

3. VixB

VixB PetForums Junior

Yes, she is just under 1kg, I even re-weighed her earlier to double check!!

4. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

how much did she weigh when the vet saw her in Jan?

I'm far from an expert in kitten weights and obviously it would depend on the breed but surely thats really rather light for a 6 month old.

5. VixB

VixB PetForums Junior

I've just checked back and her weight isn't recorded on any of the paper work from the vets. I'll just have to wait and see what they say on Saturday I suppose.....

6. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I would double check the weigh on a bathroom scales just in case!

I'm sure you would have noticed if she'd lost weight since her vet check in January when the vet gave her the OK.

7. pjs123

pjs123 PetForums Newbie

Royal Canin is pretty well trusted, it might be worth trying other brands like Iams

What breed is the kitten?

#7 pjs123, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice