Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my 4year old bichon frise has now been taken ill at emergency vet

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by holyshihtzu, Jan 19, 2012.

1. holyshihtzu

holyshihtzu Guest

last night we were all concerned for Toby as he has had blood in stools and been vomiting from 22:00 last night until 11:00am and ongoing was even sick on the bus on our way up. made an appointment at my local vets around the corner and they said i had to take him straight there. he was really poorly, quiet, no energy and clingy with me.:eek:

our other dog commented on in my last thread called coco is also in the same vets my concern with Toby is that if this is a life time disease or condition I am only with Tesco pet insurance, but would of loved to go with pet plan. any ideas as to what i could do if my insurance is only a 12 month contract? not sure if it is the standard cover or the extra.:mad::eek::cryin:

would love to hear from you guys soon xxx

update will be from 15:00 onwards from a phone call off the vet

2. DT

DT Banned

Alas, if you only have an annual policy you will only be covered for the year, and changing policies once a lifelong illness has been diagnoised will not alter that.

But don't fear the worst until you konw, a number of reasons for this springs to mind
    hope he gets better soon, please keep us informed.

3. holyshihtzu

holyshihtzu Guest

update: toby is back from the vets today after being in yesterday. he is on glucose in water and is currently now soo ill i think he is on deaths door:'( and the vets have that cheek to send me home and say 'its just a virus' i am sooo:mad: how could they do this to my baby boy.

he is really depressed and is currently lying in the dark in my conservatory which is cold

anyone help would be grateful, all they said was to call the OOH vet and see what they can do. it driving me insane!!!!

anyone come across a similar experience where they have had there dog sent home even though they are poorly

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

If you are very worried I would call the OOH vet; I would think that it would be unlikely to send you home if they truly thought your dog was on death's door.

If it is any consolation, my dog has just recovered from some kind of D&V type bug and he lay on the sofa, no walks, no interest in food for a day or two which is entirely out of character and very worrying. He is quite a large dog though, not a tiny so not quite as worrying I guess....I think what I am trying to say is that it really may be that your dog isn't severely ill but just feeling lousy. If your gut tells you otherwise I would call the vet - better to be safe.

5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

If you are truly worried ring the vet

6. holyshihtzu

holyshihtzu Guest

its just that its not like him to be this ill he is normally a happy healthy dog with a very waggy tail.

I am going to see how he is tomorrow because I have an appointment to see the vet in the afternoon but they said if its urgent then morning should be good.

anyway he is lying on the sofa with me with his blanket over him to keep warm, the vet mentioned to leave him alone while he is in the depression mode. keeping up with the medication and see how he copes throughout the night.

thanks for the quick relpy Dogless i will update up again tonight later on:p

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

They can be so worrying can't they? For Kilo to not eat anything, not want to go for a walk or even get up was very, very out of character.....

I am not trying to persuade you there is nothing wrong at all, just reassure a little if possible, but would say 'vet' every time if you have any real worries or doubts - even just for your own peace of mind.

8. janjim3

janjim3 PetForums Junior

So sorry to hear of your trauma Holyshihtzu, As a new, inexperienced dog owner I am not in a position to offer advice, only my sincerest best wishes.
    Good luck, Jim.

9. holyshihtzu

holyshihtzu Guest

thank you everyone
    i have been given Metronidazole and zantac and Antepsin
    he still hasnt drank anything
    he has lost weight from 10kg to 9.4kg so vet wants me to keep an eye on this
    he has been given glucose and water from royal canin but still will not eat or drink
    very tired and lethargic. As for my other dog he is back from the vets all lively after one week being kept there and i am going back tomorrow for another appointment with vet to see what they can do to help him
    i mean going from tuesday without a drink is worrying for me or any dog owner out there

will update u further tomorrow

10. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

:( I hope there will be better news tomorrow!

11. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear your news; fingers and paws crossed for some positive news soon xx.

12. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Have I understood right that this dog hasnt drunk anything at all from Tuesday and still wont drink??
    I assume you have been give the RCW Rehydration Support, thats usualy for acute diarrhoea, post surgery and vomitting and diarrhoea? If you cant get it sown him though its going to do nothing. If I have understood correctly Im not surprised he is lethargic he will be if he is de-hydrated, De-hydrations itself is a killer. If he hasnt drunk at all since Tuesday he is not drinking now, and you cant get the re-hydration down him, he needs to likely be on a drip.

Whats his gum colour like? If its pale and especially white, if so its bad, Do his gums look dry and sticky? if you press on his gum with an index finger does it change colour to paler? if it does does it return to a healthy colour in 1/2 seconds, if its takes 3 or longer thats bad. If you gently pull the loose skin up on his back, does it spring back like an elastic band? If it doesnt and takes a long time or stays up that too is a sign of dehydration. If he has these things then you really need to speak to the vet Now.

If he hasnt drunk anything then you do need to speak to the vet anyway.

13. holyshihtzu

holyshihtzu Guest

he still isnt drinking or eating the special food given to us by the vet. he is going back tomorrow for blood tests and on a drip if needed. very lethargic and doesnt want to play with other dog, hasnt had a poo but i can understand that if he isnt eating.

update is to come tomorrow morning

14. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Could you syringe some water into his mouth?

I'm with Tesco insurance too for my Bichons and I have my oldest Bichon on the lifetime cover and going to upgrade my youngest one to the lifetime cover.

Think he really could do with being put on that drip tonight as it doesn't sound good being without water all that time.

15. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Were his poos black and tar like? I think you need to phone the out of hours vet, to be honest. If he hasn't drunk anything since Tuesday, he should have been put on a drip straight away. What did the vet do? Did he do blood tests? What are his gums like?

the Antepsin and Zantac are just to line his stomach to stop him being sick, in other words treating the bloody symptoms. Get on the phone to that emergency vet. This is quite appalling; they should have kept him in.

Do they know your insurance is limited? That could be why they have sent him home, don't want to run up too much of a bill.

Did he give you any syringes to get this glucose stuff down him? That is what you need, just put it in his mouth and press the plunger, gradually. At least it will get a little down.

Please don't wait till tomorrow. This is serious.

As to the insurance, mine is with Churchill and it is £3000 per illness for up to 12 months. The diagnoses and tests are at the beginning and they are the most expensive things, so I wouldn't worry too much.

16. Sled dog hotel

If he still not drunk and another day has gone past, then as explained yesterday he will be lethargic, De-hydration on its own is a killer. At least phone the vet and tell them. Did you actually do any of the tests I suggested to check how he is doing as regards to beng hydrated etc.?

There is no point coming on and not doing the things that are suggested or giving us updates the vet is the one that should be getting updates so a decision can be made if he needs to go in now and be put on a drip or not.
    That is what can make the difference between recovery or not. As each hour goes past and he is not drinking it becomes more urgent.

17. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Any news on this little dog?

18. Sled dog hotel

I do hope the little guy is Ok Newfiesmum.!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice