Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My 2 year old dog will not sleep through the night... HELP!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by beagleowner93, Dec 16, 2020.

1. beagleowner93

beagleowner93 PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

I am in desperation for some help, advice and tips.

I have a beagle named Phoebe - she is just over 2 years old.

When I first bought my beagle, I lived at home with my parents. At the beginning, there was a very big issue with my dad as he basically was insistent that Phoebe was never on her own and felt very strongly against crates. This naturally led to Phoebe having separation anxiety.

Fast forward 18 months and my partner and I have now bought a house and moved out of my parents. So Phoebe, my partner and I all live in a new house. When we initially moved, it was in summer and Phoebe took to the whole move amazingly. She’s an extremely clever dog and quickly learnt a new routine at our new house. We even have managed to re-crate train her and now goes in for a couple of hours here and there and just settles absolutely fine until we come home although generally, she does prefer to be with people at all times.

Backstory:
    At my parents house, my parents would allow Phoebe to sleep on the bed with them however this isn’t something I ever wanted in my own house. There were absolutely no issues with this up until approx October of this year (when the months started getting slightly colder) and then all of a sudden we started getting very broken sleep and Phoebe who slept in our room on her own bed, kept waking intermittently during the night and whining at our bedside with no obvious cause.
    We have provided Phoebe with her own bed which she loves and tends to initially go and get on herself and an actual single duvet which she loves being wrapped in. When she first started whining in the night, my partner and I assumed that it was because she wanted to get onto our bed as she would come to each side of the bed in turn. However, overtime, we have established that Phoebe must get too hot so she slides out from under the duvet then comes and whines at us when she gets cold because as soon as we say bed, she toddles back over and we lift the duvet and she snuggles back under then settles again for a little while - the set up is kind of a den-type situation.
    However this den-duvet issue was then w
    creating an issue within itself because she was now in the habit of waking every few hours, whining, her duvet being lifted up, settling then all over again. I therefore put it down to Phoebe being cold so moved her bed near the radiator, in more of a corner (den-type again) and we tried again. This didn’t really make much difference so we tried the ignoring approach for weeks as in to not reward her whining at the bedside at night - again to no avail.

This went on for a few months however we are now in December and despite our efforts, Phoebe is still waking up multiple times in the night - > at least over 7 times a night. Finally after much discussion, my partner and I caved in and decided to let Phoebe sleep on our bed as she does at my parents house.
    (Phoebe still goes occasionally overnight as my partner and I can sometimes work shifts and therefore it’s too long to leave her alone - she sleeps on their bed and sleeps all through the night with no issues)

Anyway, AGAIN, she will not settle. For the first 2 nights, she slept well. Minimal disturbances in the night however we are now back in the routine where she is just on and off the bed all night, she will not settle and jumps off to come to the side of the bed to whine - AND I AM JUST AT A TOTAL LOSS!!!!!

General Facts
    - She definitely appears well in herself that wouldn’t automatically make me feel there was anything from that point of view
    - Definitely not a toilet issue. Sometimes in a morning, if we think let’s just get up, we go downstairs and she is in no rush to go to the toilet. She will actually come snuggle up on the sofa and sleep for a further 2 hours.
    - She has the same ‘routine’ at my parents house and ours yet she sleeps miles better there
    - She generally eats very well and gets fed at approx 9am and then 6:30pm
    - For her first walk, we usually take her on a proper walk as in Rivington or Pendle Hill and she gets anywhere between (1.5-2 hours), usually these walks are uphill and she sniffs until her heart is content. For her evening walk - she gets between 30 and 45 minutes and this is usually around the neighbourhood.
    - Our room is a converted attic room so sometimes I wonder if it’s noise however we have been here over 6 months and the first few months, she was miles better
    - We have blackout blinds and sometimes I wonder if it’s too dark? But then why has she not settled even on the bed with us close by?

I just really am becoming very stuck. Although we have tried a few different things, we have stuck to them for at least 4-6 weeks at a time and that is a very long time to go when you are being woken up anywhere up to 10 times a night so please please please offer me your advice as to why this could be happening?!?!

2. Pricivius

Pricivius PetForums Member

Those who know more will be along shortly, but a couple of things spring to mind-

- is there anything else your parents do differently? A late night snack before bed, perhaps? Some dogs get hungry overnight but a bedtime biscuit can settle them.

- maybe it is the temperature. Rather than a duvet that can fall off, have you considered pyjamas? These would keep her warm and also some dogs like to be wrapped up (it’s how thunder shirts work for some).

- if she likes her crate, have you tried a crate in the bedroom at night?

Torin. and LittleMow like this.
  3. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Could she not sleep in a crate?
    It doesn't have to be the same one she's in when left alone, she can still be in the same room as you, but there'll be a physical boundary for her.
    If she's used to one already, it shouldn't be a huge issue for her, in theory.

One of mine is the wiggliest worm in the whole world if she's allowed to sleep in the bed. New position every half an hour. She's an absolute nightmare, whereas they boys will pick a spot to sleep and move maybe once the whole night!
    Let me under the covers... I'm too warm let me out... actually i want to come under again... end of the bed seems comfy... no actually now I want a cuddle... your legs are in my way... let me stretch out and kick you in the back... maybe the floor is the place to be... please let me under the covers again... it's time lie across your pillows now... excuse me this is clearly my side of the bed now you need to move over... oh look the end of the bed needs me again...
    Pop her in a crate next to me with a comfy bed and a blanket or some jammies on if it's cold and she wont move an inch! She puts herself to bed in there every night and waits to be tucked in, the snuggles up and there's not a peep until morning.
    It's just part of her routine now. It's her safe space, she knows that's where she goes to sleep, and sleep she does :)

Torin., Sarah H, LittleMow and 2 others like this.
  4. beagleowner93

Thankyou for your reply!

As far as I’m aware, my mum and dad don’t do anything differently. We have actually started giving her a treat before bed - ‘the Lily’s Bedtime Snacks’ that are meant to help dogs sleep however although she loves it, it’s definitely not helped with her sleeping.

I do wonder about the temperature also. I don’t think she would keep pyjamas on however as she has never been a fan of doggy clothes! She doesn’t even really like wearing a coat in winter for her walks so I’m not sure it would work for her.

My partner and I have discussed the crate and we’re feeling putting the crate downstairs will be the last option however we didn’t want to have to resort to it. Up until Phoebe was about 6 months, she used to sleep in a crate overnight at my parents however once it got to about 6am - she would just bark and whine because she wanted to just be with you which is what eventually led to no crate AT ALL at my parents and her sleeping on the bed. She would then sleep soundly for them all night and still does whenever she goes

5. beagleowner93

Thankyou for your reply.

Haha! Your dog sounds exactly like Phoebe and for that reason, I would ideally prefer her not on the bed as I’m quite a light sleeper generally whereas my parents sleep like logs.

I’m thinking that a crate may be our only option left really as nothing else seems to be working for us at the moment. Does your dog wake you up in the morning whining to be let out the crate or will she settle? That’s my only concern as previously when she was a small puppy, that’s what eventually happened which is why she initially started sleeping on my parents bed in the first place.

BlueJay likes this.
  6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

If you think she is getting cold in the night then too hot when you cover her up what about a cave bed so she cane get in it if she is cold and out if she is too hot. I know a lot of people with whippets use them my whippets don't have them as they just lie on top of them.

Also is there something that is disturbing her on the night do you have foxes living in your area? One of my whippets barks occasionally in the night but we have several foxes living in our area maybe she can hear them calling and it is disturbing her. Maybe she doesn't wake at your parents because they don't have foxes in the area.

LMH0307 likes this.
  7. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

No answer but if your parents ‘sleep like logs’ maybe she’s doing the same stuff there but mostly it doesn’t disturb them?

Torin. and LMH0307 like this.
  8. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

I get up of a morning and take them all out for wees and breakfast anyways so she doesnt have time to whine ha - she's not up with the sun or anything though and is happy to sleep until it's time to get up really.
    (though she does get back into my bed for a snuggle if we go back for lazy naps)

If Phoebe whines and it's just for attention rather than needing something, she should catch on pretty quick that she gets ignored and whining gets her nowhere

LMH0307 likes this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d try her in a crate (large enough to stretch out/stand up fully) in your room, covered round the back, sides and top with a blanket to keep her warm and without draughts.

Make sure she has a very comfy bed under her in case she’s getting uncomfortable, causing the fidgeting.

If she whines, try ignoring briefly but if she doesn’t settle back down you can then tell her to settle.

If you work shifts, whilst I appreciate you might want to sleep in longer etc., it’s going to be tricky to get her to adjust with different times.

O2.0, Torin. and BlueJay like this.
  10. beagleowner93

I’m inclined to agree with this - she probably is very similar and they’re blissfully unaware!

11. beagleowner93

UPDATE:

So we tried the crate last night, put it in a corner, blankets, covered it up. From 2am, Phoebe has non-stop howled and barked. We have ignored her and at 6am, my partner and I decided to stay up and was generally chatting. Phoebe THEN went to sleep in her crate - it was like once she knew we was up, she then settled almost?!

Does anyone have any further advice for us? We have debated just moving the crate straight downstairs which I know isn’t usually ideal and you should gradually move it away however I’m not sure how much longer we can continue having 2-4 hours sleep every single night!

12. beagleowner93

Thanks for your reply!

We used the crate overnight however she barked and howled from about 2am and kept digging within her crate. Once my partner and I decided at 6am to stay up, Phoebe actually then settled and went to sleep in her crate. At a bit of a loss really as what to do as we are continuously getting between 2-4 hours sleep a night.

Also in relation to the shift work, it’s never really been an issue!! No matter how late we work, our body clocks never usually let us sleep later than 8am!

13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Was the crate in your room or downstairs?

14. beagleowner93

We kept it in our bedroom however from 2am she basically did not settle despite us ignoring her.

15. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

If the chatting settled her why not just speak soothingly to her when she wakes in the night and encourage her to go back to sleep?

Torin. and Lurcherlad like this.
  16. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Probably! I know my lot seem to be like a herd of elephants when I have insomnia and yet some nights I sleep right through whatever they get up to!
    I can sympathise though, one of mine has started having problems sleeping in his crate at night (a problem as I have to crate and rotate) but I can trace his issues back to all the fireworks the last few months. Its like he trained himself to be more anxious, esp if there are any strange noises outside.

Is she a nervous dog? Coz maybe some exercise or training before bedtime might help her relax abit?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice