Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My 13 year old shit tzu is making me ill

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Michelle renton, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Michelle renton

Michelle renton PetForums Newbie

Hello I have two shittzu dogs one age 13 and one age 10 my 13 year old is fine at day times but on a night he starts scratching and jumping on the table and whimpering . I have put the chairs on the table each night now to stop him climbing. Me and my husband work full time and have 6 kids so this behaviour is making me ill emotionally physically and mentally to. They have always slept in the kitchen we bought a high dog gate as he doesn’t like the door closed and I’ve ordered a anxiety plug in and vest which was recommended by the vets. He will not take tablets. He’s getting snappy aswell at times . I don’t no what to do any suggestions would really help thank you all so much . I’ve had enough I’m so tired ? He can’t sleep upstairs due to my daughters breathing issues and I’ve never let dogs up the stairs anyway .

2. Michelle renton

He has long walk every day aswell - 2 today

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

It sounds like he might have some dementia, or some other medical issue that is making him feel out of sorts. If it's hard for you to cope with, imagine how he's feeling. Definitely talk to your vet again, get a full blood panel done, and go from there. There is medication that can help if it is dementia.

4. Michelle renton

Dementia in dogs ? Im a senior care assistant and never new dogs could get it I’ll check thank you

5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Very much sounds like dementia to me as well. They are always worse in the evening/night. Talk to your vet as there is medication that can help.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

Yes they can. It’s really called Canine Cognitive Disorder. Much the same as dementia: confusion, etc. It’s very sad to see.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice