Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

My 12 week old puppy has been on chicken and rice for 2 weeks we have started to introduce his

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nicky Bay, Feb 13, 2019 at 5:41 PM.

1. Nicky Bay

Nicky Bay PetForums Newbie

My 12 week old puppy has been on chicken and rice for 2 weeks to stop his Diarrhea we have started to introduce his pedigree puppy food slowly back but now got running poi’s again. Any advice please

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums Senior

Assuming you’ve been to the Vet and ruled out all causes of puppy diarrhoea, including Giardia and Campylobacter, I would be inclined to feed something better than Pedigree; their marketing is much better than their ingredients.

There’s a table of dog foods somewhere, and hopefully somebody on here can provide a link??

If it continues perhaps a return to the Vet; puppies can get dehydrated very quickly.

JoanneF likes this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Linda Weasel likes this.
  4. Nicky Bay

Yes been vet and all checks done, just been pets at home and food changed to James welby loved. Thanks for your help

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

"Pedigree Poo" is a recognised condition and many dogs fed on this food have it.

JoanneF likes this.
  6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I would put him back on the chicken and rice until he firms up again, then gradually introduce the James Wellbeloved into his diet. A sudden change over could upset his tummy even more.

7. Nicky Bay

Yes we have already started doing that

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Stop feeding pedigree. Chicken is good, rice, not so much. Stop feeding rice. Gradually move from plain chicken to a better brand of food.

Slowly!

Use a probiotic during the transition. In fact I would keep the puppy on the probiotic permanently.

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Really? It shouldn't be necessary. Once the gut is functioning well and has been seeded with the bacteria, they should proliferate without further interference. If the dog has to go on antibiotics for anything, use a probiotic again.

10. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

If chicken and rice works, I wouldn’t stop the rice. I poach chicken breast and cook rice in the same water afterwards. I even use pudding rice. If it agrees with your dog, the starch in the rice helps firm them up. Some feed just rice water after upset tum to begin with.
    Not rated as the best food but Original wet Chappie can be a godsend for tum upsets. I’d be inclined to transition slowly into Chappie for a few weeks and then gradually try your JWB. At the least soak a few kibbles before feeding to make digesting easier.
    Sorry it’s a long winded recommendation but my little one had a bad tum upset as a pup and I learned the hard way. Now I always take the long route. Trouble is, each set back is harder to resolve. Bionic Biotics supplement helped as well
    Hope your little one is much better soon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice