Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My 12 week old Collie pup appetite

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Mary T, May 17, 2010.

1. Mary T

Mary T PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I have a 12 week old collie pup who seems to be losing interest in eating, when her food is put down she eats about a quarter before walking away, it is the same brand of food she had whilst with her brothers and sisters - she is drinking water normally I think! She is due her 2nd visit to the vets next Monday and I will speak to the vet then about this, but should I wait or take her now, please let me know if this apparent lack of appetite is normal -this is my first ever dog and I am getting worried.

2. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Hi Mart T!! Welcome to the forum :)

Collies can be known to be a bit picky and not too food-motivated, but then again, some are greedy guts!

What is the food you are feeding and how much at each meal/how many feeds per day? Is pup as energetic and alert as pups should be?

Are you feeding any treats/chews etc in addition to her meals?

3. Mary T

Mary T PetForums Newbie

Hi Katie

She is on Bakers and I am trying to transfer her to Hill's, I have now taken the portion of Hills out and starting again - she only gets a treat when she does something for reward like toileting outside, coming when called and sitting etc but not everytime as I don't want to go overboard with them.

She should be eating about 200g per day and is currently eating about 80g a day, she is fed 4 times. She seems to has small spurts of energy, but today she is only interested in playing fetch the ball for short bursts and then wanders around the garden / house and definitely alert around the cats.

4. Hughsey

Hughsey PetForums Newbie

We have a collie cross who we've had since a pup. She was on dry food when she first came to us and as far as we knew she had no problems on it.

As soon as she got home, she point blank refused to eat any dry complete dog food. For the last 18 months its been wet food and small bite mixer. Last week, I switched her to Wainwrights and for the first time she enjoys dry, with a little bit of meat.

At 12 weeks old her feeds can really be dropped to 3 times. Perhaps the food is too readily available while feeding 4 times a day and she knows if she leaves one feed, another will be down soon?

I'm no expert though, just doggy experience and I have lots of questions myself. Good luck! :)

5. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Hi mary, was she eating ok on the bakers and only when you tried to switch to hills that she became like this?

It does sound like she really does need to eat some more. as you probably know, bakers is a pretty terrible food, bit like mcdonalds for dogs!! but this means that then when you try and change to anything else, they often refuse it or are picky as perhaps a child used to mcdonalds would if he was offered something a bit more nutritious! so could be this?

also, I always used to add a bit of water for the biscuits to soak all the time pup is 3 meals, which seems to make it more appetising for them (althouh i now feed completely raw so not really applicable any more).

Personally i am not too keen on hills and from personal experience have had a number of dogs/pups not do well on it and having looked into foods a lot more since i really do not rate it...perhaps you could investigate other foods and order a sample to try and maybe you will find something pup enjoys more at the same time?

remember that whatever you give now, you will be setting yourself up to continue - so if you are happy to add wet food then by all means mix a bit in which would make the biscuits more appetising...but this will most likely mean that pup will not be keen on ever going back to just eating dry after this.

6. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

How heavy is she? 200g a day seems rather a lot, however to be honest, I'm not sure how heavy a BC pup would be. Our Holly is just over 5kg and she gets fed 100g a day.

As Katie put, Bakers isn't the best food, and nor is Hills really. We used to soak Holly's food a little, or add in a little wet food, however she will only eat Skinners dry.

7. Mary T

Mary T PetForums Newbie

Dear everyone

Thanks for all the advice - I have changed the amount of feeding times to 3 and will look to reduce this to 2 times within the next couple of weeks and I only leave her food down for 10 mins.

I definitely want to get her off Bakers, but would ultimately like to keep her on dry food and will try other dry options as suggested.

xx

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

At 12 weeks she will be teething, and if she just has dry food it could be hurting her to eat. Try soaking it to make it softer.

9. Mary T

Mary T PetForums Newbie

Thanks Burrowzig, will try that too, she is definitely teething, she chews anything and everything, currently chewing a large fresh cone off the tree!!

10. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I had dreadful problems getting a puppy food that my little terrier would eat.

When we changed to adult (and part of me wishes I had never bothered with puppy)I wanted to find something she would like as well as a food that I thought was good. Picked a few brains here and dwindled it down to 3 in my price range, sent for some samples and let Heidi choose. We havent looked back. Skinners converts here :lol:
    Good luck - try not to worry too much. You will get there in the end :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice