Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My 11 week old puppy has epilepsy?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lulu1408, Mar 29, 2011.

1. lulu1408

lulu1408 PetForums Newbie

My 11 week old Lab had a major epileptic seizure this morning that lasted almost 40 minutes in 3 stages. I rushed her to the vets and she was still fitting and the vet gave her diazepam and she's now under observation. They did the blood tests and they appear fine. I'm really upset. It was so distressing to see her looking so helpless and obviously unwell and there was nothing I could do. We've had her just over 4 weeks and she's had her jabs etc. I can't get over it and keep blaming myself for not seeing the signs; she's been having what I assumed to be twitches asleep in her bed and we assumed that she'd be dreaming. Yesterday she wasn't her usual playful self. She usually gobbles her food but hardly touched her breakfast this morning, and appeared clingy and upset. Has anyone ever had experience of this? I have searched on google but the only info relates to older dogs. The vet did say he's never seen a dog so young have epilepsy. Any reassurance from anyone on here would be very much appreciated.

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear about your poor pup :( I have no experience but did'nt want to read & run, its quite common in Dallys who manage very well on medication for years, hope she's ok x

3. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

I really would suggest getting in touch with the breeder you got her from and just let them know what's happened.

I hope she gets better I really do, I know a few peope on here have dogs with epilepsy. Sorry I can't be of much more help

4. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear about your pup, I have no experience with epilepsy but didnt want to to read and run! hope your pup gets better!

((( hugs )))

5. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Hopefully it's a febrile convulsion caused by fever of some kind. I know children can have them, especially babies but don't know if pups can too. Does the vet think she may have an underlying infection or is that why he's keeping her in?

I hope he finds a condition that may be causing her to over heat and can treat it with AB's or other meds. Whta a worry for you, she so young for it to be epilepsy, so fingers crossed it isn't.

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Causes of seizures before 1 Year old, can be due too.
    Anomaly- Hydrocephalus.
    Inflamatory-Infectious,viral,canine distemper,parasitic,bacterial or Fungal.
    Immune Mediated-Portosystemic Shunt, Autoimmune Thyroiditis (Early stage TGAA positive), Hypoglacemia,electrolyte disorders.
    Toxic-Single or combination Vaccines,Lead,Drug related, other exposure.
    Trauma-Acute or Delayed, Degenerative storage disorders.
    Idopathic Epilepsy.

I have a dog, who started having hers at 11mths, and hers seems due to Autoimmune Thyroditis, since being on the Thyroid medication so far so good she hasnt had any more.

A good website that will tell you absolutely everything about seizures is
    Canine epilepsy and diseases that cause seizures in dogs

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice