Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My 11 month old kitten keeps waking me up at night

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by KittenEevee, Jul 5, 2017.

1. KittenEevee

KittenEevee Crazy Cat Lady

My kitten is 11 months old and she always wakes me up in the middle of the night. Not for food but for attention. She jumps on my head and runs and meows and makes loud noises to wake me up. Last night I woke up at half 1 in the morning and settled her. she did it again at half 4, so I woke up and settled her and sat on the sofa and she curled up on me while I watched tv until six and then I went back to bed.
    This is her as I've just woken up at 855am, she looks so content.
    I am so tired and I can't keep getting up at night.
    I play with her alot and give her alot of attention during the day and before I go to bed, I play with her.
    She's got lots of toys of different types, that she can self play.
    I only work three days a week so the other four I'm usually in with her, playing with her and keeping her company.
    I can't lock her in another room because she ends up crying and being distressed.
    Just don't know what to do.

Attached Files:

2. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Ask yourself if you can put up with this for the next 20 years?
    If the answer is no, then you have to harden your heart & deal with it.
    I assume she has food / water & an accessable litter tray.You can do this 2 ways, either completely ignore her when she wakes you up, give her no attention. Do not get up to settle her & make 100% sure she will gain nothing from waking you up. This is really hard to do, I completely understand, but, at this age, she is only doing it because you let her. She isn't a baby etc.
    The other way is to shut her out of your bedroom. You don't need to shut her in one room, just, out of yours. If she cries, ignore her. I know that sounds really harsh. Just think of her being a 2 year old having a tantrum. I would also remove all pet beds etc at about 6pm. Plenty of games & cuddles - do not let her go to sleep. This again is very hard & you will feel totally mean.
    Lithium has been no trouble in 10 years. Very, very rarely, she wakes me up by rubbing my face with her paws. As soon as I open my eyes, she curls back up - cute, yes, funny - no.
    Argentium is an absolute nightmare. He was about 18 months before he got the message night is for sleep. He would jump on me & when a Maine coon lands on you when you are asleep, it is NOT funny. Now he spends most of the night moving from one sleep station to another, or, when he's being a git, shoving head & shoulders under the duvet to wind up Lith. You can do it, you just have to be more stubborn than they are!

3. KittenEevee

I definitely can deal with it for the next 20 years. I love her so much, she's a great companion and I couldn't imagine my life without her now.
    I think it's because I pander to her, I can't switch off though, hate to hear her crying.
    Yeah she's got accessible food and water during the night and a litterbox and free range of the house.
    I know she's not a baby but I still can't bear to hear her cry for periods of time but I will try not to move when she wakes me up.
    She will soon tire if she knows her actions wont lead to her being petted.
    It is my fault because she knows that if she wakes me up I will cuddle her.
    I will try your advice for the next few weeks and see how it goes.
    Thank you for your advice

4. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

Hiya! I was exactly the same with our kitten jasper. My OH slept on the sofa with him for four months as he would not settle without anyone. (He was only a tiny kitten) we then started using his big pen for him to sleep in due to his health problems and him not being able to use a litter tray. It set my anxiety off so much hearing him cry and I couldn't bear it the first week or so but after that he knew that lights off & being in his pen meant that it's bed time.

I know EXACTLY how you feel honestly, it broke my heart :( they're so cute and it sounds like they're so upset. But honestly perseverance will work. You need to be able to function and getting woken up at all times is gonna put a strain on your health and emotions.

Now, as soon as the lights are off jasper settles & calms down. Also black out blinds are great as it stops the light getting in. Cats are crepuscular (most active at dusk & dawn) so the light may be making your cat wake up and want to play! Getting black out blinds and making sure all the light is blocking out will hopefully help your cat not realise it's time to get up :)
    ps your kitten is gorgeous! :)
    Hope it helps! Xx

SbanR and chillminx like this.
  5. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Tough love I'm afraid.

You need to go to bed and completely ignore her until morning. Stay as still as you can and don't move. In the morning when you are ready to get up you can chat and cuddle etc. You will need to do this for a number of nights until she realises there is no point trying to wake you up.

As long as she has access to her litter tray and food and some toys she will be absolutely fine.

You will be tired for a week but it will be worth it long term.

6. Chellacat

Chellacat PetForums Senior

All the advice you've been given so far is fantastic and spot on. Best thing for it is to go back to sleep when she wakes you and not respond in any way, it might take a few weeks for her to understand but she will give in eventually. Good luck, hopefully in a short while you will start getting the sleep you need!

huckybuck likes this.
  7. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

When I first got Brooke she wasn't much older than Eevee. She, especially in the summer, would sit out on the landing calling for attention at about 4am - even though the bedroom was open! I would give her a few strokes and didn't mind too much as I often needed the loo anyway. Luckily as she's got older she's grown out of it. She still goes out for night time patrols, but quietly settles down on my bed afterwards. So maybe in a year or so Eevee might stop, but if its really a problem you'll have to be firm and shut her in a room with everything she needs for the night. Maybe leave talk radio on quietly for a bit of company.

8. JaimeandBree

JaimeandBree PetForums VIP

I think it's a case of start as you mean to go on, so if you can't go on being woken in the night you will have to try tough love as HB says, as hard as it will be to hear her pitiful cries! Hopefully after a few nights she will get the message and settle down.

huckybuck likes this.
  9. KittenEevee

Thank you everyone for your advice.

huckybuck likes this.
  10. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

Tali is an angel so far. Doesn't let out as much as a meow at night, tho occasionally chases a ball around. Touch wood she has always been happy to wait for us to get up. We slept in on Sunday and she was happy to snooze til almost 12

Suppose this could change at any time tho. If she ever gets to the point of waking us up everynight she will need to move to the kitchen I am afraid to say, tho I would hate it.

11. KittenEevee

So last night Eevee was sitting on my chest and then was rubbing herself against my hand. She was meowing and headbutting me but I stayed perfectly still with my eyes closed. She then walked down to my feet and bit my foot!. She has never bit me before, slight nibbles but not as hard as she did last night. I didn't move so she did it again but this time harder. It made me move my foot so she ran up to my chest again because she knew I was awake but I didn't pet her. She finally gave up and went to sit on my partners chest.
    What a wee monster!
    Feel proud of myself for not stroking her or paying attention to her, my actions got me bitten but I don't want her to learn that biting means she'll get stroked.

huckybuck and SbanR like this.
  12. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

She is a clever little girl isnt she. She didnt do the same to yr partner?

13. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

From day one Bronn was shut in his bedroom at night with bed, food, water, litter tray and a few toys that he could't cause too much trouble with. For the first week he would run to the door and shout, after that he would happily stay in bed when you put him in, after about two months he would take himself off to bed, which he still does now.

He still sleeps in there, occasionally I let him sleep in my room, but very very occasionally as he gets me up at 5am for breakfast.

We have a dog who has the run of the house at night, it would be unfair to change his routine, so Bronn had to suck it up and get used to being in his bedroom at night.

14. Chellacat

Chellacat PetForums Senior

Well done keeping your cool! You've started as you mean to go on! Cats are smart, she'll figure our right quick that you mean business :D

15. crystalwitch

crystalwitch PetForums Member

If she's waking you because she's lonely, it might be worth leaving some soft music playing, or setting a clock radio to come on quietly at whatever time she starts trying to wake you. Or maybe setting one of those feeding bowls that are time controlled to open with a treat or two inside. Or a more drastic answer may be to get a companion kitten for her?

16. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Oh boy, you are going to have trouble with this one :) far too bright for her own good :)
    They say cats are not intelligent, that is rubbish, they also know how to get what they want.
    Here is a for instance. My Burmese Lith hates my Sisters cat Wriggle ( he lived with us for 4 months as a baby, but, she would not have him here Sis took him before she did him serious damage) He is now 7 & still thinks she's a Doberman!
    We went to Devon last Christmas as usual. Wriggle was lying on the sofa opposite us with a dog at either end on the floor. She could not stand the fact that he was in the room, so, knowing both dogs would give way to her, quietly, she walked to one end of the sofa, Storm got up & ran, walked to the other end of the sofa, Sorrel got up & ran - she hasn't made a noise yet. She then gets on the back of the sofa & launches herself screaming on top of Wriggle, poor lad, who shot off leaving the sofa free. Did she want it - hell no, she just cannot stand him being in the same room & knows exactly how to get her own way. She started off doing exactly what your baby did at 13 weeks. All I would say is ..... enjoy :)

SbanR and Chellacat like this.
  17. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

They are certainly not daft!

You can either put your kitten in another room with food, toys, litter tray etc and then completely ignore her or let her in with you but like you have done ignore her attention seeking (not easy when your getting bitten toes!).

When I've had foster kittens I have let them in my room, mainly because some have needed feeding at night or checking on etc.

I'd let them paw, nuzzle and generally annoy me for a bit without giving them attention, if they didnt get bored and give up they would get pushed away (as their mother would) and ignored. They soon got the message. Either snuggle up quietly or be put on the floor!

18. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

I think you are doing really well.

She tried and tried and eventually gave up (and started on your partner lol)

A few more days of no reaction and you'll be there...

Now your partner may be another story...

claire8234 and Chellacat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice