Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Muzzle training

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lindajimbob, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Lindajimbob

Lindajimbob PetForums Junior

Hello,

I’m muzzle training my four year old Brittany, Sophie, and I thought you all might like to know how it’s going.

We got the muzzle on Friday following advice on sizing from the vet. It’s one of those flesh coloured ones. Well, flesh coloured if you’re a human! Why do they not do them in a selection of dog colours? I started by using it as a treat dispenser which Sophie liked but wouldn’t have it fitted and I can’t say that I blame her.

So, I decided that I would wear it myself for a while and she was very interested in this and I was able to persuade her to wear it very briefly, rewarding her each time with a treat.

We’re now at the stage where she will sit with it on but refuses to budge, not even for food.

DaisyBluebell, Jason25 and BlueJay like this.
  2. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

3. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Go back a few steps :)
    If she's frozen with it on, you've moved too quickly for her. Just work on her getting to willingly stick her head in there (even if for only a second at a time!) before attempting to buckle it up. She needs to see it as a positive thing, rather than something scary.

Do you have any photos of it with her? Just to give opinion on sizing too. IME vets tend to prefer them on the smaller side to keep themselves safer, but your vet might not be like that.

Once she's used to things, this site is fabulous for muzzles. They come in plenty of lovely bright colours, different styles and sizes, and are relatively easy to modify for a perfect fit too.
    https://www.themuzzleshop.com/muzzles

We love our muzzles :)

40266250773_2425700a41_c.jpg

4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Make sure it is definitely big enough, most people, including vets, use muzzles that are way too small. You dog should be able to open their mouth wide enough to pant and yawn. Get them to hold a tennis ball - a muzzle should fit them when their mouth is this wide.
    If you want pretty muzzles have a look at greyhound muzzles, they come in all the colours of the rainbow! They are also sized well so the dogs can run, pant and drink with them on.

I think you are going way too fast, at this stage I'd just be happy with them putting their nose in it without being lured. Watch Kikopup's video above and start again from the beginning, just doing a few mins of training per session.

ETA: crossposted with Bluejay, we obviously had the same thoughts!

5. Lindajimbob

Ok. Thanks. Naughty Mummy going too fast. The muzzle comes without instructions other than how to put it on the dog. I’ll check the sizing but I think it might catch on her eyes if bigger?

She will sit with it on but I won’t attempt a photo just yet. I’ll slow down as advised and watch the video suggested above.

Thanks again!

Jason25 likes this.
  6. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Is it a baskerville or baskerville ultra?
    It may also be the case that whatever style she has simply doesnt fit her face properly.
    If she cant open her mouth properly to pant, drink and take treats (as above, sizing with a ball is a good easy test!), it's not going to be big enough to safely or comfortably wear during exercise or extended periods.
    You can boil the ultras to reshape them a little, but they arent ideal on most dog faces really.

Attached Files:

DaisyBluebell, Sarah H and Jason25 like this.
  7. Lindajimbob

Excellent video!

Jason25 likes this.
  8. Lindajimbob

This one is a Baskerville. I couldn’t go into the vet’s and this one is the only type the girl fetched out. She did fetch out several sizes and chose the size 5. I’m not experienced with muzzles, I’m afraid, though Sophie is dog number eight.

As it happens, I already do something similar to the chin hold when I’m fussing her so this is a start. Really good video. Shame they don’t point you in this direction on the packaging.

Jason25 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice