Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Muzzle help

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Engel98, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I'm not sure where to post this so if it's best off somewhere else, feel free to move it.

I have a Lhasa apso whose lovely with the other two dogs in the house and family, but as soon as she goes out on a walk she turns savage.

She tries attacking other dogs on walks. Luckily they've been on the other side of the road, I'd hate to see what'd happen if they were on the same side. Yesterday, I took her for a short walk up to the shop (5 mins either way) and she went for 4 dogs and for the first time lunged at someone who had a pushchair.

It doesn't matter if I walk her by herself or with the other two, it still happens. I keep crossing over every time I see a dog but after yesterday I was thinking about muzzling her.

I've never had to muzzle a dog so this is a new thing for me. I've seen many muzzles for dogs but none for brachycephalic breeds.

Anybody tried muzzling a short faced dog? Where did you get it from? Are they any good? Any ideas for curbing the behaviour. She won't take treats when outside the house. I keep the lead loose so there's no tension. When she starts I carry on walking. I tell her no/leave but still nothing.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Can you work out the distance at which she doesn’t kick off? That is where you can work at praising the calmness.

Turn and walk away to create that distance.

Baskerville muzzles seem to be very popular and come in a number of sizes/styles I believe. Obviously, she will need to be muzzle trained very gradually so it doesn’t add to her anxieties.

Kikopup has videos on correct muzzle training.

lullabydream likes this.
  3. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I have always praised her for being calm as I didn't have her from pup, but as an adult which I swear had never been walked :/ The 'distance' isn't very helpful as it's when the dog is completely out of sight :(

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

That’s tricky then.

Engel98 likes this.
  5. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Yeah. Not helpful at all...first thing I thought of is distance as I've had dogs thatve been really excited to see another dog and it worked then.

I'd prefer it if she was excited as I wouldn't have to worry as much when going around blind corners :/

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Hopefully, other forum members who have dealt with similar can offer some advice.

Take a look at kikopup, positively.com and thecanineconsultants.co.uk for training tips etc.

Engel98 likes this.
  7. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Hi all. Haven't been on for a while so thought I'd update.

Pebbles has taken to the muzzle very well and been working on communication with her. Like if we see another dog she keeps focused with her attention on me with positive reinforcement.

I took her for a short walk a couple of days ago as she was making great progress. I went when the school kids were coming home and I knew some would be walking their dogs.

I didn't put the muzzle on her but I did have it in my pocket so if it went bad I could quickly muzzle her.

Didn't bother with the kids and we bumped into another dog. Walking parallel on different sides of the road. She did well. No barking, growling or snarling. She was still very aware that there was another dog and did tug a little but was quickly resolved with positive reinforcement. She kept focused and listened to me the whole time.

I didn't walk behind the other dog on the same side of the road as I think that'd been a step too far. I've since worked out that the aggression is fear based. I think I'm such a short amount of time that she's done really well and I'm so pleased. Hopefully it will continue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice