Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Must bury my bone

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by alphadog, Aug 5, 2009.

1. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Does your dog bury his treasure? Selma does, and Archie before her and Smudge before him.
    This afternoon I noticed that Selma gets the cutest expression on her face when she's choosing where to hide it. She prowls around for ages searching for the perfect spot and all the while she looks like a little angel! In reality of course she is probably in maximum concentration mode ;)
    And why doen't they all dig? My three, past and present, just drop the bone/chew and then shove the soil over the top with their noses.
    Funny wee things :D

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Alfie will bury things. Inside and out. Mostly he will push dirt over it with his nose, or will try to do the same with his bedding. It wouldnt be so bad if he didnt dig it up 5 secs later and walk around with a very dirty treat.

Oscar cant be bothered with such things.

3. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

At least he digs it up 5 seconds later and not 5 days later when it's then covered in worms or ants!

4. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I always find toast or biscuits in the basket and down th settee :)

5. davehyde

davehyde Banned

now ya cant blame the dog for that:D

6. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Harvey has never buried anything! :eek:ut:

7. Stellabelly

Stellabelly PetForums Senior

Stella is always burying treats. She does dig and bury in the garden as well as hiding things all around the house. Tucked in the corners and on the stairs and even in the cat litter tray!!
    She will find things a few weeks later when they are soggy and disgusting after being in the garden. Don't mind when she finds things in the house.
    The funniest thing is she'll spend ages deciding where to bury it but will get it straight back out if she thinks you saw her and go round looking for somewhere different.

8. DoggyBlogger

DoggyBlogger PetForums Newbie

Hi there, I just though I'd give you a little nugget of info of why us dogy bury bones! Well Its basically instinct, its part of our heretige. One thing that is often overlooked is that us dogs have been around for millions of years, but have only been domisticated for a few thousand years by you humans. Our ancestors used to hunt for food as other wild animals have to, but would often need to store food for when the hunting didnt go well, they used to bury the bones of their prey and save it for when needed.
    It's this instinct that still remains in some of us dogs and it is why some of bury bones.
    If you would like more of an insight into the doggy world please visit my blog: www.doggy-bloggy.co.uk.
    And just for the record... I bury bones all the time :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice