UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont often visit Gen Chat so I'm a little unsure of what is discussed on here in the main, but driving home tonight I had a little attack of nostalgia and I wondered how many of you are affected by music as I frequently am. Songs and tunes that can whisk you back in time to a special place.
For me, this evening, it was a Buddy Holly song, '' That'll be the day.'' I'm sure that many of you will be far too young to remember the singer of the song, but for me, just for a few minutes, I was a fifteen year old lad again. Feeling sorry for myself because my very first love had dumped me for another chap, name of Brynley,( I hated him.) Her name was Patricia and it was in those long ago days, when, at fifteen, holding hands was about as erotic as it got, although. I have to admit that she was also the first girl I ever kissed. With tightly pursed lips I hasten to add, none of that tongues stuff in those days of innocence.
We both were fans of Buddy, Patricia and I, his songs were probably a little too sweet and innocent for todays taste, but they summed up the feelings of youngsters in those less sophisticated days. I often wonder what became of her and if she has had as good a life as me, I hope so. Shortly after we split I left school and went off to sea as a deck boy and we lost touch, it was some years before I returned home and obviously during that time I'd changed, as no doubt had she. I wonder if she was listening to the same programme as me tonight, and if so, did the playing of this old song from our youth trigger the same bitter sweet memories in her.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
I love it when you hear an old song... I recently heard 'ride on time' by blackbox and it reminded me when I was a young child my mum calling us in from the garden for tea.. that song would nearly always be on the radio! We had a 120ft garden and most of it was like a forest.. us kids had the most fun playing in it. Miss that garden!!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
When I hear Geno by dexys midnight runners it always wisks me back to my courting days with my hubby and the juke box we first played it on, oh I love hearing a song that triggers a happy memory,funny tho they do the same with a bad one too

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I really love how music sends me back to a certain time or place. Anything from August and Everything After by the Counting Crows sends me right back to a particuarly heartbroken summer spent weeping along to this after a boyfriend went to America - handily for my overdramatic teenage self and track number 10, he went to somewhere just outside Baltimore :D

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
for me it's when i hear 'duelling banjos'. or 'convoy' my dad loved them so hearing them takes me back to my childhood, cuddled on his knee while he listened to his tapes. mam used to make him wear his big headphones so i'd pull them away from his head so i could listen too. when he passed away i made sure i got his tapes. listening to his old trucking or country and western ones makes me feel close to him again. i was kinda disapointed to get a car with a cd player in it. i was hoping for a tape deck so i'd have an excuse to have them with me all the time :(

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Got to love Buddy Holly! Long before my time but my Dad loved his music and Buddy was always playing in the car whenever we went anywhere :D

Everytime I listen to any Buddy song it reminds me of my Daddy, driving along singing at the top of his voice :D

Happy days :D

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
most of the music i grew up with a love is way before my time ('88)
have many memories of drowning my sorrows in Queen, Def Leppard, Eagles, America Meatloaf (the list is endless) after yet another falling out with my mother.
i heard Cars by Tracey Chapman a few days ago and sat smiling to myself thinking of a bf i was dating at 15, we were gonna live together ect (he was a lot older than me and i shoulda known better) it was one of those impossible relationships. it came on the radio one day and my friend said 'listen this is your relationship' i wised up shortly after but it was nice while it lasted :)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
have a distinct memory of being at a bike rally when i was 16. i'd seen 2 family friends dancing at the rally. what made it odd is she was a lesbian but had fallen for the family friend and he'd finally got his luck coz he'd loved her for ages. anyway they were dancing to Bad to the Bone, and my dad suddenly appeared telling me i wasnt to tell my best mate (her daughter) until she did :lol:

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I'm rather partial to a bit of Bob Marley... takes me back to my mis-spent youth. I even named my first son after him:D

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
I'm rather partial to a bit of Bob Marley... takes me back to my mis-spent youth. I even named my first son after him:D
I must admit i do love a bit of reggae, it definately helps me chill, but i have such a large range of tastes its hard to nail any one tune down for a decent memory. I think this one, as it used to be played as i travelled to London with my parents friends to visit a childrens home. Ken Boothe - Everything i own - YouTube

·
Owned by 4 cats :)
4,206 Posts
Although I wasn't around in the Buddy Holly days, I am a HUGE fan of his. Absolutely look his music. In my eyes, he was the artist who created rock and roll. Beautiful songs. Tragic end xx

Whenever I hear music by Eva Cassidy, memories of my Nan come flooding back. She passed in 2003. Also hearing Katie Melua 'closest thing to crazy' does the same thing. Upsets me but makes me smile in equal measures xx

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
oh I love a bit of olly bolly , I couldnt say Buddy Holly when I was very small so thats what I called him..
I grew up listening to his music as mum and dad were great fans ..

Music ...the best form of time travel around :laugh:

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
I grew up on Meatloaf, Bonnie Tyler, Queen, Leonard Cohen. The Who, Led Zepplin, Meatloaf just to name a few of my parents favourites.
My parents always had music playing - the radio or cassette player was on way more than the TV :)
I'll hear a son and be transported back to playing cards sat around the family table with music in the background or a house full of all the neighbours families as all the generations dacnced the night away together :D

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
I dont often visit Gen Chat so I'm a little unsure of what is discussed on here in the main, but driving home tonight I had a little attack of nostalgia and I wondered how many of you are affected by music as I frequently am. Songs and tunes that can whisk you back in time to a special place.
For me, this evening, it was a Buddy Holly song, '' That'll be the day.'' I'm sure that many of you will be far too young to remember the singer of the song, but for me, just for a few minutes, I was a fifteen year old lad again. Feeling sorry for myself because my very first love had dumped me for another chap, name of Brynley,( I hated him.) Her name was Patricia and it was in those long ago days, when, at fifteen, holding hands was about as erotic as it got, although. I have to admit that she was also the first girl I ever kissed. With tightly pursed lips I hasten to add, none of that tongues stuff in those days of innocence.
We both were fans of Buddy, Patricia and I, his songs were probably a little too sweet and innocent for todays taste, but they summed up the feelings of youngsters in those less sophisticated days. I often wonder what became of her and if she has had as good a life as me, I hope so. Shortly after we split I left school and went off to sea as a deck boy and we lost touch, it was some years before I returned home and obviously during that time I'd changed, as no doubt had she. I wonder if she was listening to the same programme as me tonight, and if so, did the playing of this old song from our youth trigger the same bitter sweet memories in her.
Your post itself took me back.My first love was with my best friends brother,he was in the navy.
I played this song more times than i care to remember.lol:001_wub:
Freddie & The Dreamers - Send A Letter To Me ( HQ ) - YouTube

As for Buddy Holly do you remember this,it was released when he died.:(
Tommy Dee - Three Stars - YouTube

·
Registered
593 Posts
Some music i hear reminds me of my mum who sadly passed away 14 years ago - but when i hear shalimar, alexander o neal or anything she used to listen to it takes me right back.

Films do this to me too, goonies is still one of my favourite childhood films along with Labyrinth (i force my kids to watch them too!).

I watched back to the future the other night cringing but with a big smile on my face.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.