Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mum staying with kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Momo12, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

Was just wondering if its normal for mum to stay with kittens all the time, Geri had hers early hours of sunday morning and to my knowledge she has only got out of the box 3 times I'm not even sure if she is going to the toilet, I read somewhere that the mum tends to move away for a time of peace during any given day so am confused any help would be most appreciated.

Mo xxx

2. Tje

Tje Banned

Perfectly normal and a great sign.
    I have known queens not even set foot out of the basket to eat, so have had to hand feed them, or put the food right next to her and the kittens.

I normally advise keeping food and litter tray a distance apart each other (none of us want to eat dinner in our toilets, lol) but with a new mum her food and litter tray should be as close to the nesting box as is possible, certainly for the first two or so weeks.

No two cat’s are the same… some have to be coaxed to nurse their kittens, you’re lucky yours is very attentive.:thumbup:

3. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

aww sounds like shes doing so well!honey is wandering around every now and then , she does like m to be close by tho think she likes the company :)
    julie x

#3 purrlover, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  4. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

Aw thanks thats a big help I have her food right at the opposite end of the box to where she is laying with the kittens and she gets up now and again to eat but tht doesn't involve leaving the box, she got out earlier and I thought she wanted the litter box but no she just had a mooch around and went back to the nesting box, litter box is about 10 feet away but in another room but she has access all the time so I guess I will just carry on enjoying her being a good mum and be happy for that. Thanks again:thumbup:

Mo xx

5. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

i cant add much more to TJE's excellent advice, other than to suggest that you bring the litter box closer to her. 10 ft and through a door is a LONG way to a protective mum cat! you will only need to keep it close for a few days but its worth it!

Momo12 likes this.
  6. Tje

Tje Banned

Ohhhh, yep I agree, 10 feet away is way too far. And the fact it’s through an open door way is not ideal… in the mother cat’s mind, if she has to go out through that open door way to pee or poop… prey could come in though that door and damage/steal/kill her kittens. I position my litter box right next to the nesting box. The mother’s can literally sit and poop and pee and lick their kittens at the same time. When she starts to move around the room and look out the window and have a mooch around, you’ll know then that you can move the litter tray further away. Right now though, as close as is possible to the nesting box is what she needs.

7. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

:thumbup: whoops I will move it straight away and put it next to birthing box cheers for that:)

It's moved and next to box now, but nothing can get in or to her or the kittens it was just in the conservatory which is where its always been just moved it closer to the door from lounge which is where Geri & kittens are thanks for the advice tho :)

Hey Julie, yeh think she is doing ok think I've just started to panic about things now I've sort of returned to the planet, Geri seems to like me about as well if I'm sitting on sofa and she can't see me she gives this little trill so I go over and fuss her bless but all ok I think, glad Honey is ok
    and the little family all well:):)

Mo xxxx

8. Tje

Tje Banned

I know nothing can actually get to her... it's more the way (some) cats minds work. I've had mother cats (fosters) and I've had to close the curtains and the blinds completely in the kitten room, to the point that the room was totally blacked out in daylight hours. The mother cats must think, "hey I look out the window and I see prey, that same prey must be able to see me and must be able to steal my kittens"... then they get all giga stressed out. It's a bit like that phase many children go through when they stick their heads behind a cushion and they can't see us, they assume we also can't see them. Many cats have a similar set of mind. :rolleyes:

Best of luck with your litter !! :thumbup:

Momo12 likes this.
  9. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

Sorry am being particularly dense today think its lack of sleep and excitement and whatever else is going on in my head:lol: thanks anyway Tje I obviously need all the help I can get at the minute:thumbup:

Mo xxxx

10. Tje

Tje Banned

you're not being dense in the slightest !! You think I was born just knowing all these useless pieces of cat information? Lol, no. They come from years of panicked phone calls and emails to friends/neighbours/family/vets/shelters. Any knowledge I do have is 2nd hand, and begged/borrowed or stolen from more experienced peoples heads. :)

11. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

Well all I can say is thank god you did all that so now you can help the rest f us that are not so knowledgeable many thanks:thumbup::thumbup:

Mo xxx

12. bwolf

bwolf PetForums Newbie

Congrats Geri and you. When one of my fosters had her 6 she did not move more than few feet away for a good week and we hand reared the rejected kitten in the same room-Thanks the Gods the summer house has radio and tv:p But I too had to have it nice and dark for her. She'll let you know when she's ready funny since I posted about my new girly earlier all the excitement has flooded back so can't wait for when she does have little tiny paws pitter pattering! any help I can offer I'll try...Been a long time hon :) x BW

13. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

aw cheers for that everyone has been so helpful and strange thing is since i asked this question she has been out of the box about 4 times not far or for long so its all good i think but thanks so much:thumbup::)

Mo xxxx

14. bwolf

bwolf PetForums Newbie

Ha sure our two aren't related lol x

15. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

Well I suppose its always possible ha-ha, so now she is going all over the house, came and jumped on the bed this morning as if to say well get up and come and sit and watch me and my babies, seems that is what she wants us to do, so funny but rather cute:):)

Mo xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice