Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mum & Daughter

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Delboy, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Delboy

Delboy Banned

I wonder if any one out there can help me, I have had Golden Retrievers for many years now and have all ways wanted to breed a litter and keep one of the pups, well I felt the time was right I done every thing correct done all the tests found the right mate (Dad) and two months latter had ten bouncing pups, done all the checks found nine good loving homes and now have one and this is where it all starts, Cassie (Mum) gives into Molly (daughter) all the time if Molly goes up to her while she is eating her dinner she just walks away and lets Molly have it, if I give them both a chew a bone or a treat Molly goes and gets hers and Cassies and mum lets her, mum will not eat a biscuit in the same room as Molly even if you are holding Molly.
    I don't know if this is a Mummy puppy thing or a dominance thing but I just did not want it to get any worse, other than this they get on great all ways play fighting or tug of war. :cool:

2. London Dogwalker

London Dogwalker PetForums Senior

So what's the problem the Mum lets her pup eat her food? :thumbup:

Is this something you think will escalate into aggression or guarding behaviour by the Mum? Or that the puppy will think she'll always get her own way?

Puppy License is something that adult dogs give to puppies, it's why they get away with so much and I wouldn't worry about it, Mum will soon tell her off if she thinks Molly is getting out of hand. :)

Nothing to do with dominance between them, there is no hierachy the way the books used to have you believe. :D

3. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

my girl was the same with her daughter, in fact on occassions she still regurgitated some of her meals for her, even though her daughter was a good few months old lol she even did it with her son, I didnt mind but I did lift the bowl once mum had walked away simply because I didnt want the pups eating more than required, I would rather have her behave that way than to be aggressive over food where her pups were concerned, the puppy licence will run out soon, and mum will let her daughter know that she cannot eat all her meals usually this is not done in a nasty way it normally just takes a look from mum, and the pup will take heed and they will move on from this stage and eat their own meals, my girls pups are now 5 and totally adore their mum.

mo

4. Delboy

Delboy Banned

Thanks to both of you that is very reassuring information, yes I did think it may get worse but now I know better. Thank you.:thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice