Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mum being sick

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by amy_lou_79, Jan 5, 2008.

1. amy_lou_79

amy_lou_79 PetForums Junior

I have sectioned off part of my kitchen for the puppies. For the past week Mum has been sick but only in the puppy area? She is fine till she goes near them? Its quite to much as she is sick then eats it back up and I have to get there quick as the puppys lap onto it!
    Any ideas?

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

She may be regurgitating mash for them, not being sick, the fact that she only does it when near the pups, unless anyone has other ideas.

3. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i thought the same as you Jen,, one of my bitches done that ,.....:)

4. carol

carol PetForums VIP

she's feeding the pups dont worry thats what bitches do.

5. nici

nici PetForums Senior

my bitch done that for her pups:eek: nothing to worry about as its natural.:D

6. jan-c

jan-c Guest

Your bitch is regugitating her food in an effort to wean her pups. She is not being sick. I know this may seem a little harsh but did you not think it would have been sensible to do a little research before mating your bitch and at least learn the basics. You waited until your pups were 4 weeks old before asking when they should be weaned. I know that everyone has to start somewhere but we are talking basics here. Most people in dogs are willing to share their experiences and knowledge with 'Newbies' but at least put a little effort into it before contemplating breeding.

7. amy_lou_79

Tell you that last comment has put me off using these forums now. Won't be coming back now. My Mum bred boxers and they never did that so I wasn't expecting it. I knew they needed weaing arounding now but was asking what to use as there are alot of experienced people here.
    Thankyou to those that answered me.

8. nici

nici PetForums Senior

you should enjoy your time on here and not take to heart what some people say, as they have very strong views and need to air them, dont let them put you off im sure you are doing a great job for those little ones and everyone needs advice from time to time.:(

9. colliemerles

please dont leave the forum,,,,,, most people are here to try to help you,, stay ,:(

10. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Don't go :( (sez that in a great britain andy voice) :)

Seriously tho amy don't go tho, i did alot of reading up on breeding be4 i concidered giving my female a litter, and i also got alot of advice from very experienced top breeders of the studs i used for my female, but i must admit, I never heard of domesticated females doing that, except in the wild lol, and my female did'nt do that either, If she did i prob would of did the same as you amy, and thats ask for advice just incase it was something to worry about, so i myself think you did the right thing by asking, because if you did'nt ask you probs would of got moaned at for not asking if it had been serious.
    It does'nt mean u did'nt put less effort into getting info be4 u bred ur bitch because u did'nt find or was'nt told females do that, because i did put alot of effort into it be4 and after, But as i said, i did'nt know that either.

11. nici

nici PetForums Senior

i agree leo, i hadnt seen it before in any of my bitches until chaya done it gave me a fright at first to:eek:

12. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

It deffo would of given me a fright, deffo after having babys aswell, because we have the babys to look out for aswell as mum now.
    Noone can tell me that with their first litter there was'nt one thing involved that did'nt give them a fright at some point.
    Iwas with my babys morning noon and night due to the fact i hand reared but i still would watch their breathing and stuff like that lol.
    Even tho i read and was given all good advice i was still panic stricken the first time round :D

13. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

Most of your reply is fine to me but in the last 3 lines I think you are being a bit harsh here, as many other members have stated on this thread they had not known this either and its better that she asked and not let the situation get out of hand just in case there was anything wrong.

I agree that a lot of research has to be done b4 you breed I studied the genetic side of breeding thoroughly b4 considering breeding my border collies as well as all the other things involved in breeding, mating, pregnancy, whelping and rearing pups etc, but there are things you will still come up against that you need advice on and this is where to ask for it, is it not?

I just think you could have been a little more tactful in your reply, as now another member may not be returning to the forum as a result of this type of post, individual opinions are good but there is a fine line line between this and offending others.

14. colliemerles

i also read all the books but when my bitch was having her pups, i had her breeder on the phone, telling her exactly what was happening and she stayed on the phone until i was confident that all was well, so we all need reasuring , :)

15. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Very nicely put, I could'nt of put it any better myself.

16. carol

carol PetForums VIP

well said :) :)

17. colliemerles

put very nicely vixie,,,,,well said,,

18. amy_lou_79

Thanks all. I shall ignore the certain pompus ones!

19. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

how are mum and pups? :)

20. colliemerles

never be afraid to ask,,,,, we all learn by asking and what seems so obvious to some is NOT to others. We all have to start at the begining and learn,,:D:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice