Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

mum and daughter

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by mgordon, Sep 2, 2013.

1. mgordon

mgordon PetForums Junior

I'm in need of advice again sorry. My lovely pups are now nearly 6 weeks old and fully weaned. Mum had enough once their teeth came in. Mum has excellent temperament but when some of the pups come near her she growls at them. One in particular is constantly in her face. She gets grumpy as they try to latch on. Now I know this is normal but we are keeping one of the pups and want mum and daughter to have a good relationship. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Will it all sort it self out once her milk completely dries up? Thanks

2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

I'm no expert but at 7 weeks old I'm not sure they should be still feeding on milk and should have been weaned? Happy to be corrected.

3. Tanji

Tanji PetForums Member

4. Ann Elizabeth

Ann Elizabeth PetForums Senior

Lily's puppies were weaned by six/seven weeks but Lily still liked to give them a sneaky feed - used to make me smile the puppies would have their meal, Lily would have hers and then she would stand and let them have a milk 'top up' - right up to when they left for their new homes! I kept one of her daughters and never had any problems, Lily hasn't growled at any of the pups, though she would discipline them if their playing got out of hand.
    Shoki, Lily's daughter, is now 15 weeks old she and her mum have great fun playing together, I sometimes think when they are all on the field playing that Shoki feels left out when Lily and Mia (Shoki's aunt) are chasing balls, training etc. Whilst sat here typing all three dogs are asleep this time Shoki is asleep laid on Mia but that could change if Mia moves, then Shoki will cuddle up to her mum, sometimes all three cuddle up together especially if they can 'steal' the sofa. Mia will growl at the pup if she tries to steal food/bones/chews from her but it is still only a noise no nips yet - Shoki takes little notice and will lick Mia's face while Mia is growling, but do expect that if Shoki isn't careful especially as she gets bigger she may get a nip.
    My only advice would be to relax, and only step in if it looks like one of them will get hurt, I'm not treating the situation any differently than I have done in the past when introducing new puppies into the home.

5. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

This is normal and you should allow her to reprimand them - it is the first stage in teaching them bite inhibition. You will probably find that in a week or so she will allow them an occasional suckle once they have learnt to be gentle. Separating them at this stage is a mistake as you are taking away the chance of them starting to learn bite inhibition.

Regarding your other question, this will bear no relation to their future relationship if you are keeping a pup.

6. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

She's teaching them to behave themselves - she won't go too far. I think it's lovely that you're keeping one of her babies - it will be a great comfort to her when the others go, and I'm sure that she'll teach her daughter good manners and they'll get on well.

7. mgordon

mgordon PetForums Junior

Thank you. Great help. Will just go with the flow.

8. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I've got a 16 month old pup I kept back from the litter I had last year, and Mum has been incredibly tolerant. She occasionally tells her off, but I imagine that differs from bitch to bitch, and some will be less tolerant and tell pups off more firmly. I would just let them get on with it, as has been said. :)

9. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I did have mum daughter and grandaughter and have never had a problem. I lost mum last year but once the pups had got past the stage were they where being weaned and still after milk they got on great and were very close.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice