Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mum allergic to my cats, advice pls?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by catmadclaire, Dec 11, 2019.

1. catmadclaire

catmadclaire PetForums Member

Hello, my mum has a really bad allergy to my cats dander, so much so, she doesn't come round a lot, which is sad as my little boy loves to see her at our house, as I do too. So, do any of you know ways to reduce dander or to help get rid of it in the air? Would an air purifier help reduce it? We brush them regularly and hoover all the time, but it doesn't seem to make any difference?
    Many thanks for your help!

2. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

A good air purifier should help! Would your Mum consider taking antihistamines before her visits?

3. catmadclaire

Thank you. I did wonder if air purifier would help things. Thanks. I have asked her countless times to take an antihistamine, but she says that she can't take any with asthma, which I think isn't the case as I am sure you can take some that will help, so I will get her to do that also and hopefully she will then visit more often!

4. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I think Claritin might be fine for your Mum? A quick call to her GP to ask advice???

catmadclaire likes this.
  5. catmadclaire

Exactly! I have tried that, she doesn't ever seem to help herself. i might speak to pharmacist, she also doesn't like taking tablets, but they are small!

Soozi likes this.
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

It almost sounds like your mother is making excuses. As if she hopes if she moans enough you will "get rid" of your cats. It's lovely of you to try to accommodate her. Seems to me if she wants to see her grandson she might make more of an effort.

I recommend the levoit air purifiers. I suggested this brand to another member here and as far as I know she's been very happy with it.

https://smile.amazon.com/LEVOIT-LV-...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

MissMiloKitty, catmadclaire and Soozi like this.
  7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@catmadclaire - I have severe asthma and with my doctor's approval I take anti-histamines sometimes, without a problem.

It is brushing the cats that spreads the dander into the air, and causes the allergy symptoms. I am the same with one of my cats, if I brush him indoors. On the days your mum plans to visit maybe don't brush the cats, and instead wipe their fur all over with Allerpet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Allerpet-D...76064771&sprefix=Petal+Cleanse,aps,142&sr=8-1

Asthma attacks can be triggered by anxiety or panic, not just by irritants or pollutants in the air. If your mum knows you have taken these steps to protect her it may reassure her that it will be safe for her to visit. For the moment I would discourage her from stroking the cats though. :)

catmadclaire, lorilu and Soozi like this.
  8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with the Allerpet advice, my son became quite allergic to our cat after he left home.We found a moist wipe down for puss helped considerably.
    There are also non -drug/barrier type nasal sprays that might help.

catmadclaire, lorilu and Soozi like this.
  9. catmadclaire

Thank you and yes, she would love for me to re-home the cats and we did for a time with cats protection as it was all too stressful, but I couldn't bear to be without them, so after 7 weeks, I got them back and I she keeps saying "shame you got them back" which annoys me, as she won't even take an antihistamine to help. I will have a look at the air purifiers. Thanks for your help.

lorilu and Soozi like this.
  10. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I'm asthmatic and I can take Loratidine, Citirizine and Benadryl with no problems.

And Flixonase or Beconase nasal sprays.

Some of the tablets are tiny so that really shouldn't be an excuse.

catmadclaire, Soozi and chillminx like this.
  11. catmadclaire

Thank you, I have heard about those wipes so I will get some and see if it helps. I won't brush them when she is due round and the cats are so timid that she never gets to see them anyway, but she is still sniffling in the house after a few hours and has to take her inhaler. She does get bad stress and anxiety also, which she also doesn't take any tablets for. All very frustrating.

Soozi likes this.
  12. catmadclaire

Thank you. Good to know they help. I will buy some of those and hope it helps stop the dander. Meggie gets it a lot for some reason.

13. catmadclaire

Thank you for letting me know that and yes exactly, my mum is so odd, she never ever wants to help herself, then moans at how sniffly and awful she feels when she is at the house, makes me mad that she won't even help to relieve the symptoms. My cats are part of the family and have been for the last 11 years! so it has been an ongoing issue for years and now I have kind of got to breaking point with it.

14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It varies from one cat to another how allergic their dander can be. I used to groom my last longhaired cat every day without a problem, but I have problems when I brush one of my shorthaired cats.

#14 chillminx, Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Soozi likes this.
  15. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Maybe it's time for a quiet heart to heart talk with your mum about how you feel. x

Soozi and lorilu like this.
  16. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I can really sympathise because none of my family members apart from the grand children like the dogs, the cat died last year, they didn't like her either !:mad:

Soozi and catmadclaire like this.
  17. catmadclaire

Yes my shorter haired cat is the one with more dander whereas my fluffier cat doesn't have any really at all.

chillminx likes this.
  18. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I must admit it does sound like she’s making excuses but you know her best. You could try a bit of reverse psychology and just say ok I will accept that you won’t visit us! there’s no more you can do. Stop inviting her or mentioning her visiting for a while and see how she reacts.

19. catmadclaire

Oh really. It is such a shame isn't it. I couldn't imagine my house without the cats and my mum can take something to help, but it looks as though I may have to buy an air purifier and they aren't cheap either!

20. catmadclaire

Yes, she just gets annoyed with the cat allergy but loves seeing me and her grandson. I won't go round their house as her husband smokes and the house stinks of it, I won't be around that or let my son be either, so it is like she has to find something to moan about about our house, but I have asked her so many times to take antihistamines but she never does. Anyway yes I think I will just be honest with her. She won't even spend Xmas with us this year

Calvine and Soozi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice