Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

multiple Dogs and bones

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by thedogsmother, Apr 30, 2011.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

My kind neighbour just brought the dogs some lovely marrow bones from the butchers, they are happily lying side by side chewing them and every now and again they have a lick at each others faces, their body language is very relaxed and happy and they actually have their feet touching so they are face to face , they get a lot of bones so I dont think they are hugely high value items to them. Now according to the butcher where I usually get my bones im taking a huge risk having more than one dog with bones, apparently I shouldnt even give bones when Ive got more than one dog because they will attack each other:confused:. Does anyone else feed bones in multiple dog households?

2. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

Sounds like they're comfortable together and bones aren't high value food items for them.

My dog is a single dog and suffers from only child syndrome so he couldn't have a bone say when my brothers dog comes round - he will let me take it if needs be, but its too high value for him to let her near it - but other lower value food items he can have whilst she is around.

I think as long as you know you're dogs and they are supervised it's fine/

3. critter

critter PetForums VIP

Hi, does your butcher have a dog??, he's probably a very good butcher, but,...............wayne.

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Mine get bones about once a fortnight to a month in the nice weather (because they are not allowed bones inside).

When they get their bones Dave takes his off up the garden and Dixie stands and licks hers.

I do have to put the bones in the bin after the first day because after that, Dave wants both of them and he will warn Dixie off if she goes near them but they have never had a go at eachother when they get them its only the next day.

If I have other dogs over and they have a bone then they are seperated. When the Basset's were here Paddy was put in the run because he wants all of the bones and will growl at the other dogs but Ruby is happy to go and lie by her own with hers.

Next doors dogs I have to seperate to give them a bone as Diezel will steal Fudge's bone and then tell her off for going near her.

5. thedogsmother

Im not sure if he has a dog but he seems to know everything about everything if you know what I mean ;).

6. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

I've never really risked it, mine all go into crates or in separate areas of the room with there bones and if one of the dogs leaves theirs it gets taken away, so the other don't try to steal it and end up fighting over it. :)

7. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

My 2 consider bones high value - so take themselves off to seperate areas to eat them.
    I always ensure that the one who finishes first doesn't approach the one who is still eating or I know world war 3 would break out.
    You're 2 are obviously very relaxed about their bones.

8. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Mine both have bones and to start with are more than happy chomping on the one nearest to them. Once they have left them they will go to which ever they are nearest.

Ruby will occasionally give a growl if Rolo goes near to her when he has not bothered with his, but never had an issue.

I would separate them only if i thought an issue was brewing earlier and take them away, and would only feed them separately if i really had to.

I would not want to feed them separately as a matter of course, but dont leave them unattended anyway so would be able to step in.

9. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

To be honest I wouldn't give both ours a bone and let them wander off I'd have to shut one away from the other. Milo has a habit of wolfing his food and then going to share Rupert's. Rupert lets him but its not really good for Milo he's that damned greedy. They were fed separately with a stairgate and a wall in between them when we got them and Milo has always wolfed his food. I'd be worried one day maybe he'll try it on with Rupert, Milo is so hugely food oriented, even more so than Rupert and I didn't think that was possible :rolleyes::

Rupert will often let Milo have his things there is never a fight but I just think imagine if Milo was trying to wolf it down and did himself some harm in his haste :nonod:

If I had another Rupert I wouldn't worry I doubt, he's quite chilled about eating and takes his time a bit more but I just have that worry with Milo. Its not like Milo is dominant over Rupert or anything I think Rupert just isn't really that bothered. But Milo does seem to be testing the boundaries a little, so far Rupert just lets him do whatever but they may have a squabble one day and I would put my money on it being something food related (that's my patch of grass get offfff I want to eat it :rolleyes:) :p

10. Purplejellyfish

Purplejellyfish PetForums Member

I don't give my guys bones as I have a great fear of them swallowing bone shards. They do have chews, pigs ears and paddywacks etc - never had any aggression issues with them at all.

11. I have to feed bones to the dogs in separete rooms As Holly thinks every bone she sees is hers and would snatch them of the other two. I'm able to remove bones from all of them without any fuss though but I don't really do that often. Only if I really have to for some reason or other.

12. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I have 3 dogs and I give them bones out in the garden and leave them too it.. Before I got Bobby I used to have to separate the girls as Maizie would take them all.. But Bobby seems to have evened the balance out.. :)

If in the kitchen and I give them a chew.. I pop two dogs in cages and leave one out.. :) They are in a more enclosed area so are more likely to get upset about one of the others being near.. :eek:

13. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Mine are raw fed so bones are something they get nearly everyday - in good weather they eat outside and take their food off to wherever they want, but in wet or miserable weather they eat in the outbuilding (because floor is concrete and easily disinfected) which is about 20ft x 17ft, so by no means a huge space for 5 dogs - never a cross word between them :)

14. pika

pika PetForums VIP

Dascha and Skye are completely fine.

Dascha tells Skye to go away and Skye goes away.

Dascha respects Skye's and doesn't go near unless she walks away from it.

15. jayne5364

jayne5364 PetForums VIP

Anya has never had a bone in her time with me :( I'm popping out shortly and will be passing the butchers. What should I ask for. She is a GSD approx 18 months old.

16. thedogsmother

I just ask them if theyve got a couple of bones for two gsds and they usually either give me the big marrow bones or the big rib type bones.

17. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I give mine dino bones.. that are cows cannon bones.. :) I give them roasted bones.. Be careful if your giving a fresh one.. sometimes they get the trots when they first try them.. :)

18. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Yep same here bones are high value - so even as much as a look will start a growl - never been any fights though. :)

19. thedogsmother

My two dont get the trots, Henrick is sometimes the other way though (bit constipated).

20. Rache

Rache PetForums Senior

Out of my 5 chis 2 will cause fights over high value treats. One will collect all the bones up and guard them if I let him. Usually though they take them off to their own space in the garden and get on with it. I always watch them just to be sure though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice