Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Multiple dog owners - How many do you have?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ColliePower, Jul 27, 2009.

1. ColliePower

ColliePower PetForums Senior

Hiya all!

As you all may know I have 4 dogs, and wouldn't have any less!!!

They're my babies and my world and i love having the "gang" around me and they adore each other!

Ive noticed in other threads, especially the one about what breed dogs have we all got, that lots of ppl have 4,5,6 and some have over 10 dogs!

My question is..........

I have 4, I have plenty of room, I can afford them, have time to walk them etc but do not have the room for any more dogs (wish I did) so I ask you, how much room do you multiple owners have to be able to have all these dogs? and what is your walking routine? plus....is your house a mad house because you have so many dogs or is it perfectly organised and in order????

Come on share your stories with us all :)

Luvdogs likes this.
  2. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

We have 5 dogs, 3 of them are big. We don't have the biggest house and it is totally mad here all the time. i wouldn't have it any other way :D

Our walking routine vairys depending on what shifts my oh is on and also what the kids are doing but every day me and oh tke all 5 out twice. one is a good 1 1/2 - 2 hours the other is about 1/2 - 1 hour. then through the day I will take them out in 1 or 2's for lead walks, if I go anywhere I always have atleast 1 dog with me. :D

3. ColliePower

Me too!!!!!!

Mad house is the way for me!!!!!!! I guess im used to it,its just the poor visitors that take about 10 mins to get through the front door past the dogs haha!!

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

4 and they're all pretty much the same energy level which is great for walks. They get a 2 hour walk either in the morning or evening depending on the schedule. It is a bit of a madhouse but I wouldn't have it any other way. We have a fairly big house and theres one room that has the animal crates and cages and everything in. They do have free rein of the house just love that room.

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have had as many as 5 and used to regularly have 3 but have no intention of it again. Two is enough now and I quite liked the year I had with just one.

6. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i have 2 but i can see the number rising to 4 :D

7. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

I have 4 dogs i dont know if its routine but it all jsu fits in to place..lol

I am up from 6 am let chi's out then let collies out brush feed and well go's from there then morning walk theres a feild next to us so a wonder around there , then back and see to my other pets and family..:D

8. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

I have 18 at the moment and me and my family work in shifts. Feeding them every morning and every night, cleaning the kennels twice a day, and also exercising twice a day.
    It is sometimes very hard but because we love our dogs so much and they are a great passion of ours it is all worth it :D

9. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I have 2 :laugh: it sounds like nothing compared to some of you!

10. ColliePower

Mine have different energy levels but it just works well!!!

Tyler and Jodie are super hyper therefore do tend to get more runs then whiskey and hollie who are happy to mosey about, but generally if we all go out over the woods they all run and go mad together its a lovely sight!!!!!!!!!!

11. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I have 6 dogs. 2 are pups so a bit mental at the moment.

Its a mad house lol

They are usually calm and relaxed but if we have been out they get excited when we come home.

I have quite a large house but a small garden. Im lucky to have a large area out the front where if we want to play ball or something with the dogs we take them out there. Their recall is fab so we have no worries about them running off and we dont live close to any major roads

We have a meadows at the bottom of our hill so we walk the dogs there every evening and during the day they have a run around the block, a game of ball out the front and a lead walk aswell.

At weekends we try and take them somewhere different. Their favourite place at the moment is Dinton Pastures. Theres woods, green and lakes. The dogs love to have a swim, run around the trees and chase eachother.

They are my babies. They all live in the home and are treated as membes of the family.

12. ColliePower

18!!!!!!!!! How do you walk them all?? I expect you do it in stages?

do they stay in kennels then? r they all yours, or foster dogs?

13. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

We have working gundogs all of them are ours either what we have bred or bought, the majority are what we have bred.
    apart from Bess and Chester they all live in our kennels that are in our back garden. We have one block whicha has 3 medium kennels in and another block with 2 large kennels that usually hold the bitches who have pups. 2-3 dogs can go into the medium sized kennels.
    Dad takes them to his rabbit pen at blenheim were each dog gets about 30 mins on its own hunting and training. Which stimulates their minds and tires them out.
    Bess and Chess get two walks everyday down my village and on trails :D

14. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

we have 3 terriers, lots of land having a farm for them to run around on, chacing the rabbits etc. lots of off lead time, 2 main walks aday some time 3 if my working shift allow. we do dog training and some showing so they get lots of time out and mixing with other dogs and people. 3 is plenty to cope with and they all get walked together, but i also do individual training with the 2 border terriers as well, the jrt is 12 now and he does his own thing most of the time:).

would love more but have to be realistic regards the cost of having more, will only have the number of dogs i can afford to keep. what with the price of vets bills, injections, insuirance and food etc and all the other little things we buy them (there not spoilt at all:):)) you understand what with all the toys they have to play with and treats when we go out etc.

having multipy dogs is great if you can afford it, and they are great companions for each other :)

15. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

As off this morning İ now have 6 dogs

16. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I have 2 and that's quite enough! A growing GSD and a collie cross takes up all my time :thumbup: OH wants to add an english bulldog :yikes:

17. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I have two. If i ever have two again, id make sure (like i have now) that they have similar needs in regards to exercise etc. I wouldnt like to have an older dog, then get a young puppy, as i feel one or the other would suffer for it.

If my lifestyle allows it, id like to have just one dog in the future.

18. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

You'd be surprised. My two get on brilliantly well, but then again Candy is extremely lively for a 12 year old :thumbup:

19. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

i have 4, 3 that need a lot of exercise and one not so much

20. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

We have three, sometimes 4 ;).
    I am home all day with mine, they tend to get a early morning run in the morning, And another later in the day.
    We could happily fit a couple more in, but hubby says 3 is the limit!! :rolleyes: :p they have different energy levels, but they get on really well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice