UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i recently heard that British bulldogs (not all but many) cannot give birth without a c section so I have to questions really, is this true?

and if so how do breeders do this, can a dog have multiple c sections? or are the bitches just bred the once?

i dont own a dog (in the navy so couldnt:mad:) and have no intentions to ever breeding, and if i ever did want a dog i would prob go to a rescue centre, i was just curious and joined this website with this question in mind.

could someone please help me put my mind at rest lol:confused:

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Times are slowlychanging but it was considered to be normal a few years ago. Nowadays it's a case of finding the right breeder. Truth is that bulldogs have been bred to be unhealthy (although I expect an outcry when I say that). There are however ethical breeders out there who acknowledge this and are actively trying to do things about it, although it will take time.

[youtube_browser]rrWjVFKuAg8[/youtube_browser]

at around 15minutes may be of interest. Other alternatives include dog breeds like the old tyme/english bulldog or even the leavitt bulldog. However even with these breeds you need to find someone who is breeding ethically and for the right reasons.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, so the breed standard set by the kc was what messed up these traits in the dogs but now the kc and folks who show dogs are trying to do somthing about it but the small puppy farmer/back yard breeders/stubborn dog showers are less ethical about changing things.

cheers:D

G

·
Thanks guys, so the breed standard set by the kc was what messed up these traits in the dogs but now the kc and folks who show dogs are trying to do somthing about it but the small puppy farmer/back yard breeders/stubborn dog showers are less ethical about changing things.

the kc don't set the breed standard , the breed clubs do.:)

·
Registered
195 Posts
A lot of Bulldogs can't give birth naturally because they have been bred to have huge shoulders and a tiny pelvis, so the pups just can't physically fit through the poor bitch's pelvis.

·
Banned
21,573 Posts

It's the interpretation of the breed standard by show judges that can lead to exaggerations, and is what has happened with a small number of breeds. This is the general description from the breed standard for bulldogs:

"Smooth-coated, fairly thick set, rather low in stature, broad, powerful and compact. Head, fairly large in proportion to size but no point so much in excess of others as to destroy the general symmetry, or make the dog appear deformed, or interfere with its powers of motion. Face relatively short, muzzle broad, blunt and inclined upwards although not excessively so. Dogs showing respiratory distress highly undesirable. Body fairly short, well knit, limbs stout, well muscled and in hard condition with no tendency towards obesity. Hindquarters high and strong. Bitches not so grand or well developed as dogs. "

This is the current breed standard, so this may well have changed to try and promote a healthier overall shape, but if you notice, although there's a good description of what a bulldog should look like, there are no specifics; for example the body should be fairly short, how short is fairly short? This is common among all breed standards, and it leaves the interpretation open to fashion trends, so with Labradors, they became (apparently) heavy set in the 80's when they were rewarded in the show ring for being heavier than before, I dread to think how heavy they could have been in comparison to some I've seen currently.

As for c-sections, there can be a number of reasons for them, either the breed overall isn't healthy as regards reproductive health, like the bulldog where they struggle in some instances to mate/whelp because of their conformation, or a bitch has a problem such as inertia which prevents her from either starting, or continuing contractions once they've started, or there can be a problem with the pups being in the wrong place, presented wrong etc.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I dont really care about breed standards.

I care about the health and welfare of dogs :)

Any C section is hugely risky, to the birth mother and the pups.

Ok so many of them turn out well due to the care of vets but if we can avoid them, wo:(:(uldnt that be so much better?

Dont get me wrong i love bullies,always happy patients and very stoic but i have seen some very unhappy c sections in my career.:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.