UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you cope? I keep entertaining the idea of getting another dog, but I have no idea how I'd cope, We manage with Bramble because OH can take him to work, but, there must be working families with more than one dog, what do you do in the day? How hard is it?

G

·
I have 3 dogs, I don't know how exactly but I seem to cope very well. But then my job is dog walking/boarding and running doggy day care, so my work is adaptable to my dogs. I'm soon to be a dog trainer, so I won't be able to take my dogs with me, but my OH will be around on the farm to keep check on them whilst I am out for a couple of hours! xx

·
Registered
457 Posts
if you're only *just* managing with your dog then maybe its best to wait a while longer before getting another?

i will be getting my puppy tomorrow and i already have another dog, the only reason why im so free to spend time with them is because im a forensic pathology graduate so i have to wait another year and a half before my job starts. even then i will be home most of the time and probably only working a few hours a day to start with.

G

·
if you're only *just* managing with your dog then maybe its best to wait a while longer before getting another?

i will be getting my puppy tomorrow and i already have another dog, the only reason why im so free to spend time with them is because im a forensic pathology graduate so i have to wait another year and a half before my job starts. even then i will be home most of the time and probably only working a few hours a day to start with.
Totally agree....

The fact you are questioning getting another dog shows you are doubting it. You shouldn't even question it if you are 110% sure.
People with multi dogs need to be in the right situation.
Owning dogs is hard work, although rewarding, and you should only get another one if you can adapt your life to meet the needs of theirs.

Good comment butterfly blue.

All the best for getting your new puppy tomorrow, bet you're excited!! xxx

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Erm I haven't yet to see what the house is like after coming home from work *unemployed* but I do got out sometimes, and all I do if make sure they've got plenty of water, everything is tidied out of their way lock the doors and turn the telly on, and everything is fine when I get back longest I've left them is 3-4 hours :)

So once I am employed the hours they're left alone will be longer but hopefully the method I use now will work, I'll also probably get 2 giant kongs and put some filling in them :)

I personally think leaving 2 dogs alone rather the 1 is better, as they can play with eachother etc.

When I left Zeus alone when I went to bed I'd walk up go downstairs and find the bin on the floor and rubbish everywhere, now Zeus has Milo that hasn't happened :)

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
We have 2 dogs and a pupster on the way, our family are all dog mad. The children are 10 and 11 and help out a lot with the dog walking and playing!!

Our day starts at 6 am, my OH and I get up and he feeds the dogs after they have been in the garden for a toilet break. I shower and get the childrens breakfast, go out and feed the rabbits and guinea pigs. Have my breakfast and then walk the dogs at 8 am with the children. We get back at 8.30 and the boys go to school, i get changed and go to work for 9 am, i come home at 11.45 and let dogs out for toilet break if they havn't been in their run (in nice weather). Then i go back to work until 3.15, they have a filled kong each when i go back to work.

We all spend the evening playing with the dogs and then walk them about 5/6 pm, then they are fed 7/8 pm. They just crash in the lounge all evening with us then.

At weekends the dogs are very chilled and spend half the day playing and half crashed out together so i don't think they suffer for being left for 3 hours at a time in the week as they just sleep.

It works for us! Havn't got pupster yet but i'm sure he will fit in with our routine well too!

·
Registered
53 Posts
We have 4 dogs and would also have a foster from time to time.

I think we have been really lucky that all our dogs and fosters have got along so well together.
If a foster is only new and I have to go out, i would crate that dog, just to make sure it is safe as obviously i wont be there to supervise behaviour or break up a fight.

But all my dogs are in the garden together during the day and sleep together. I never leave them with toys or food as it would only be asking for an agruement while im not there. I give them a treat before leaving that will be ate straight away. Make sure they have had a good run or walk before leaving so that they are tired and dont have as much energy!
They usually just sleep while i am gone, and regain their hyperness for my return.

Hope this helps abit

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
We have 4 dogs. it runs relatively smoothly. In a morning they are all walked together due to time commitments. In an evening they are walked seperately (the pups anyway). They all sleep in seperate rooms in crates.

The only bit I find hard is holidays and days out - we can't get them all in the car together.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
we had 2 dogs - then 3 - then 2 and now one - in the space of 2 years.

2 is easier than 3
1 is actually easier than 2

yes they generally become more clingy (millie has) but they become your bestest friend and you are their world. 2 dogs they kinda bounce off each other (well ours did).

if your questionning it - its not the right time..... i used to think dogs are better in pairs, now though millie has adapted better one is ok as long as she has me :)

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
I have 2 dogs....and Having had Fizz for just over 7 yrs on her own I thought it'd be a little ifficult having another but it really isn't much different....just another one to take on our walks and another set of bowls ect....they share toys and are quite happy in each others company....xx

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I only work on a saturday, my OH comes home at 1pm on a saturday. So they are left for only a few hours. Seeing as we got Missy from a family who was constantly at work and she was on her own in the garden for most of the day. We are trying to comfort her by being there as much as possible, but due to what has happened with Missy, I wouldnt recommend anyone being at full time work if they are going to be left on there own! You have no idea how mucked up missy is from it!

I am sure there are a few people who do and their dogs are fine, but honestly this is the first dog I have come across where their owners have worked and I am shocked at how she is!

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Oh we're not 'just' managing, i just ment at the moment Bramble goes to work with OH everyday, but he couldn't do that with two dogs. He'd never get any work done.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I don't notice any difference really. Feeding is normal, I just fill up 3 bowls instead of one. I walk in shifts so that's a difference but that's about it...

Apart from 3x the fur :p

·
Registered
321 Posts
2 dogs are much easier than one, because they have company and someone to play with, i have 4 and a puppy until he goes to his new home and find them lovely but i dont work. If i have to go out for a morning i leave the back door open and they can come and go in the garden, we have high walls all around our garden so i know they are safe, and a neighbour who will allways keep an eye on them.
When we had our second one i wondered if i would cope, the worst thing is 1 dog you can take most places and its harder with more than 1.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I think 2 dogs are easy, you have two hands to hold the leads, stroke them etc. Once you have more than 2 it gets more tricky. I say once you can handle more than 2, you can handle any number. ;)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
2 is the perfect number they keep eachother entertained by playing when your out.

I'm sure Brams would love a little brother or sister to play with and teach :)

You could just put yourself on strike if you get my drift ;) haha

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.