UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must have a sign that says MUG on my forehead. I bought what I was told were two Brisith Shorthair kittens. I was told they were nearly 5 months old and questioned their size as they were tiny. I also questioned the weepy eyes and was told that eye do weep as it is in the breed.

One of the kittens is very ill with viral cat flu, I then find out from someone who knows the breeder that they were in fact 8 weeks old when I bought them. I also find out that the Tom is an Exotic and Queen is a British Shorthair, so the promise of registrations to come was false as they cannot be registered.

Not knowing that the kittens were only 8 weeks old and being told that they were not inoculated I had the first inoculation done. The kitten that already had cat flu became very very ill. Her mouth is litterally covered in ulcers, so she is being fed natural yoghurt when she will take it and Metacalm for cats once a day to help with the pain in her mouth. The other kitten is well and hearty, she must have met the cat flu and got over it. The blue one is the sick kitten and the lilac is doing well. They are very cute but have to be kept in a room and cannot come out. I have two Norwegian Forest cats and although inoculated I don't want them to come into contact with the new kittens.

I really must have MUG written on my forehead. I can't contact the breeder of the kittens as she does not answer the phone and lives in Lincolnshire. I can't stress the sick kitten out by taking it on such a long journey from Scotland to Lincolnshire.

I shall fight for this little kitten but am sending the breeder by post the vets bill and demanding a refund as well. We will see what transpires.

Laura

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
don't be too hard on yourself either, we take people at their word. Report them, try to find out who their local newspaper is and call them up too get lots of bad publicity for them. Beautiful kitties found a good home, that's something at least

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RSPCA won't do anything because the kittens are now in Scotland. I will be reporting her to the GCCF as she has registered both the parents. I don't know if they will do anything but it's worth a try.

The little blue is now lapping her yoghurt instead of me syringing it into her so there is progress there. The lilac is doing very well and gaining weight, the little blue only weighs just over 2lbs or just over 1 kilo. That is far too light while the lilac weighs just over 1.7 kilos, again very light weight.

I am glad I do have them as I asked a friend who lives near her to make more enquiries for me, she has found out that this breeder farmed the other 3 kittens out at 6 weeks old and one is still at her home and that is in a dreadful condition too. I have asked the RSPCA to pay her a visit.

Laura

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
The Gccf can and will take action. they will be worth contacting, I dont think pedigree kittens are aloud to leave until 13 weeks of age.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
The Gccf's web site says -

Recommendation

The GCCF strongly recommends that no kitten should be permitted to go to a new home before 13 weeks of age. At least seven days prior to this, the kitten should have completed a full course of vaccinations, including a health check, given by a Veterinary Surgeon or by a listed Veterinary Nurse under the direction of a Veterinary Surgeon. The breeder should ensure that kittens are house-trained, inoculated and in good general health

Welcome to the Governing Council of the Cat Fancy

But all reputable breeders wont allow a kitten to leave before 13 weeks & vacinated :)

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
The GCCF will be much more concerned about the sale of kittens advertised as BSH which weren't.... If you look on their Suspensions page you'll see others have been severely penalised for similar offences. Trading standards is also a good bet, do you still have the original advert? Were they advertised as pedigree, and did you get a pedigree if so? If not then that's a breach of trading law and another GCCF disciplinary offence.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
There are two possible difficulties here. One is that if the breeder is breeding unbregisterable kittens she may very well not care in the least if she is suspended from the GCCF as it will make no difference to her. The second is the difficulty of proving the ages of the kittens and especially their state of health before they left the breeder. But by all means complain.

Liz

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
There are two possible difficulties here. One is that if the breeder is breeding unbregisterable kittens she may very well not care in the least if she is suspended from the GCCF as it will make no difference to her. The second is the difficulty of proving the ages of the kittens and especially their state of health before they left the breeder. But by all means complain.

Liz
Shouldnt a vets report be able to show that the kitten was such and such age and had been ill for so much time? atleast proving the age, being under 13weeks for first offence and depending on how OP paid for them, may have evidence of when they were bought to show them being sold ill, plus any contact via email they may have had, or even post. Phone call dates and times may help? just a thought

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I hope this doesn't cause offence but I've a feeling it might :( It's awful that you've been conned in this way and I feel sorry for the two kittens. Breeders, using the term loosely, like this should not be able to get away with this sort of thing but I'm afraid that, given some circumstances, GCCF are pretty toothless.

That said, this sadly highlights the absolute need to do your homework before parting with a lot of money for 'pedigree' kittens. There is a *huge* amount of information out there, on both official (registering bodies) and non-official web sites.. all of which would, or should, alert anyone not to buy kittens in these circumstances :-

No vaccination cards provided (can't have been, because you took the kittens to be vaccinated). I presume no pedigree provided either otherwise you'd have been alerted to the dubious parentage; I assume no information re worming either; probably no insurance provided; they looked tiny to you, for their age; they had runny eyes at the time of viewing; no registration slips available at the time of purchase despite the fact they were said to be five months. There is a vast difference in size/weight between an 8 week old and a 20 week old kitten - I'm amazed the vet, when you took them for vaccinations, didn't pick up upon this.

I really do hope both kittens will be okay and that your other cats aren't affected by whatever the kittens are/were carrying. I also hope that, at the very least, you are able to get some sort of financial recompense from the breeder but, unethical as he/she obviously is, I doubt it :(

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.