UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all do when you come home with soggy doggies from a walk? W don't have a entrance to our garden so they have to come through the front door. We take them straight out back and hose them down but leave them in the back porch for half hour. They hate this and make so much noise and jump up. I've tried towelling them but they end up still wet.

Shall I keep putting them out to get used to it? It's only until they dry enough as puppy won't lie down until she dries haha too much energy :) :eek:ut:

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Mine have beds in the kitchen next to the radiator. I used to come in through the side gate and bring them through the back door into the kitchen but Pennie can escape under the gate so I've blocked it off. So now we go through the dining room and into the kitchen.

I towel down Louie first, as he gets bad ear infections and now has a ruptured ear drum. Then the old lad, then the pup.

When/if we get kennels next year then they will be put in there to dry off after the initial towelling. Hopefully I'll be able to put heating in there for them also. But if not straw and blankets should do the trick, but if it's snowing they'll be indoors to dry off.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Mine have beds in the kitchen next to the radiator. I used to come in through the side gate and bring them through the back door into the kitchen but Pennie can escape under the gate so I've blocked it off. So now we go through the dining room and into the kitchen.

I towel down Louie first, as he gets bad ear infections and now has a ruptured ear drum. Then the old lad, then the pup.

When/if we get kennels next year then they will be put in there to dry off after the initial towelling. Hopefully I'll be able to put heating in there for them also. But if not straw and blankets should do the trick, but if it's snowing they'll be indoors to dry off.
This is the same for us - if it is cold outside, I towel them down (they sit down and wait their turn - :) ) and put the heating on for them for a while. If it is a lovely day day, I put their beds outside in the back garden on the patio and they love to sit there and watch the world go by. If I haven't dried them enough, they will come and sit down again and look at the towel!! :D

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
We try and avoid the soggy dog bit in the first place (we have the same problem, terraced house so can't get round the back easily) by using waterproof coats or waterproof body suits which can be peeled off and stuck straight in the washing machine, quick wash and dry of the paws, quick dry of the head - dry doggies!

We have sighthounds that have a very low body fat % so they get cold very, very easily so making sure they don't get wet/get dry as quickly as possible is very important.

You can get some great custom made waterproof coats with chest covers so only their legs/head/paws will get wet/muddy. There are also full body suits often used by show dogs easily available on the internet which mean only paws and head need to be dried. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
buloo tends to find wet places and make the most of it as possible, this is also not that hard at the moment seing as all this rain has our fields pretty much flooded.
he gets taken into the back, where he is wraped in a towel and has learned to do a little hokey kokey for me to dry his legs off and a good belly rub, in return for a treat.
the only problem is no matter how dry i get him he will always head to the sofas and push himself along the floor against them until he is satisfied he has dryed himself/put his fur back!grrrr!!:eek:ut:

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I put fleece pj's on my lot (especially Harry) they dry them off quickly and keep them warm, plus they love them and shove their heads into them :)

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Visions of your lot in a dry bag did make me giggle:D
I was only thinking about "wet dogs" recently as Tilly comes in through the porch on to a waiting towel on the kitchen floor & although she'll let you rub her down she's not keen on having her undercarriage rubbed & yet that's where all the muddy water drips from sooooooo I invented "dog wrap with matching oven gloves":D:D
So it's a towelling wrap basically, the size of her body which I can just wrap around her (legs not included) & fasten on so it will catch the undercarriage drips.The matching "oven gloves" are also towelling so I can put them on & rub the rest of her down without having to fight with a towel:D

Mine are only littel 0 but they do manage to sread the mud :eek:

Mine get a good rub down with a towel then zipped up into a dry bag each and put into bed.
Dry Dog Bag Size 4 (18" Neck): Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors
Then once they are dry another rub down and a good brush and they are as good as new :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine are only littel 0 but they do manage to sread the mud :eek:

Mine get a good rub down with a towel then zipped up into a dry bag each and put into bed.
:)
I knew somone who used one of these on muddy gun dogs, the poor things hated it because they came in for lunch and the bags restricted their begging. they did develop a funny shuffel in the end tho to get around the table!!:D

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
my mum has an outside tap with a hose pipe shower attachment, and the outside tap runs off the hot tap from the kitchen inside so the goldies get warm water outside. They then have a 'on your mat' command where they know to go and sit on a towel and I use another one to dry them, then they end up drying inside. The heated tiled floor at night dries the towels.

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Dri bag here - absoloute godsend.

We come in, she sits on the large rubber backed mat inside the door while I sort myself quickly then she gets a towel dry, into her dri bag and placed in her bed with a chew. Little while later, she comes out, gets a quick brush and the dri bag gets a shake out (it collects any mud) ready for next time. I probably wash it every 3rd ish time.:D:D

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
The whippet is easy as his coat is so short and fine he's pretty much wipe-clean :D He's not hugely fond of purposefully going into mud or water either so he's rarely filthy. On the odd occasion he's managed to get really dirty he goes straight up into the bath when we get in. We've got VetBed in the car crate which does a good job of cleaning their feet so they just get lead straight upstairs into the bathroom.

The middle one isn't as easy, she's suddenly discovered a love for mud and water so frequently ends up filthy :rolleyes: We try and plan walking routes so that we finish off by going through some decent grass which helps get some of it off then once we get home she goes under the shower and is then towel dried.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.