Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mud

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by collieflower, Nov 25, 2012.

1. collieflower

collieflower PetForums Newbie

HI,
    I have 3 dogs that I love dearly, and are walked daily, but i also let them in the garden.
    My question is............how do you dog poof your lawn ?
    Mine has now turned into pure mud, no grass left at all. I have no conservatory or garage for them to dry off in, so the mud is just coming in the house.
    It's even worse when it rains...........
    I'm thinking....concrete ? fake grass ?
    What would be the cheapest do you think.
    All suggestions gratefully recieved, many thanks.

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

We had the same problem when we moved here, but we only have a small garden. Gave up struggling with the small patch of grass that I thought the dog needed and laid gravel. Subsequent dogs have been fine about the gravel and the muddy paws are less

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Gravel would worry me when your dog gets old. A lot of dogs have problems walking on pebbles/stones but an injured or dog with arthritis, particularly in the feet, would suffer greatly on such a surface.

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Pesonally I'd go for fake grass. Better for the dogs and relatively cheap.

5. collieflower

collieflower PetForums Newbie

I've been told by several that fake grass is silly o cost very mega expensive ? Tbh I cant afford that.

6. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

Fake grass is expensive, I was quoted £3000 for what I didn't think was that large a garden!

I only loose the grass on the corners they use most to walk to the rest of the garden, so sometimes I block that bit off so they have to use another entrance, then move it around!

Concrete would probably be cheaper, but not very nice to have as a garden. I tried putting some mulch down on one of the worst spots, but it just get kicked everywhere when they run around.

I have tan coloured carpets with a light pattern deliberately to hide the mud, but I have them professionally cleaned every 3 months.

In short, I just live with it! But that's my job, working with dogs, and I wasn't house proud to start with.

7. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I have artificial grass.Its not too pricey if you find somewhere that just sells it in rolls then lay it yourself.
    Hopefully following years wont be quite so wet though....its not surprising its turning into a mudbath outdoors!LOL:D

8. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

i've seen it in rolls at b and q

couldn't tell you the price though...

9. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Kate with the 4 collies has artificial grass and has had great success with it :)

10. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

We keep our dogs off the lawn when it's wet so they don't trash it as when it's wet it really wet.

Our garden is L shaped with the lawn at the back and a small section down the side of the house (which the utility room opens onto) which is all part paved and part gravel. We've got it separated off so they can go out on that bit without being able to get to the lawn.

We have loads of wildlife in our garden and I'd hate to affect it by swapping to artificial grass or anything so we just keep the dogs off it unless it's dry.

11. terrierist

terrierist PetForums Senior

gravel looks pretty - but it stinks when its been wee'd on!

Concrete or flags....cleanable!

12. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

Gravel looks great when it first goes down, but we found it was a total pain in the backside to maintain.
    We had grass on one side, and gravel on the other, and everytime they ran round it, they'd drag it all over the path and the black liner kept getting exposed.
    It also looks awful when leaves start falling on it (we have a lot of trees around our garden) and when you have to pick up their poo most of the gravel goes with it :rolleyes:.
    Plus they couldn't all walk on it properly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice