UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have rehomed a 10 week old bichon frise bitch. Took her to the vets to get checked over who said she had worms.....very bloated tummy. She received her first vaccine and a wormer (not sure what at this stage). Problem is that she has now got a bit of mucus in her poo and doesn't seem to control when it comes. It isn't diarrhoea, the poo is formed but a bit loose. Any suggestions at this point. She is drinking well and seems happy and playful around our other 5 month old bichon. Thanks

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
I have rehomed a 10 week old bichon frise bitch. Took her to the vets to get checked over who said she had worms.....very bloated tummy. She received her first vaccine and a wormer (not sure what at this stage). Problem is that she has now got a bit of mucus in her poo and doesn't seem to control when it comes. It isn't diarrhoea, the poo is formed but a bit loose. Any suggestions at this point. She is drinking well and seems happy and playful around our other 5 month old bichon. Thanks
Mucos in the poo and also sometimes you get little flecks of blood is usually collitis meaning the bowel is inflammed. It could just be the result of the vet visit stress, vaccinations and the wormer. I would just monitor and see how shes goes.

If you see any signs of vomitting as well, she becomes depressed, lethargic uninterested in her surroundings and generally unwell then contact your vet straight away for advice.

Might be an idea to miss the next meal and then just give boiled chicken no skin
or boiled white fish (check for small bones) and a little fresh boiled rice or mashed potato for the next few meals after that. its a light easily digestible resting diet. If you keep her on it until her tums settled that may well do the trick. Obviously if you dont see an improvement withing 24/36 hours or it starts to get rapidly worse then again consult your vet.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Thank you, that has put my mind at ease a little. I'll see how she goes over the next day or two and hope it settles down.

If it does turn out to be colitis is this treatable?
If its mild the resting diet and the Pro texin prokolin usually sorts it out. You can buy the pro kolin on line its all natural and contains pectin, koalin and also a pre and pro biotic. I usually get mine from Online Vet | Get Cheap Pet Medicine and Treatments Online From Vet-Medic - Vet-Medic its always handy to keep in.

Sometimes if they get a bad bout that doesnt clear up with the above you do need veterinary medicine, hopefully its just the stress of the vets, the vaccination and the wormer thats put her a little out of sorts, sometimes its best to worm them a day or two after the vaccs for that reason.

·
Banned
3,379 Posts
All as Sled Dog has advised!!!

If the colitis needs meds....its often a week of antibiotics....nothing to worry about. One of mine gets colitis when he sneaks the pups food....mostly over it in a day or two of bland diet and some Canikur paste but antibiotics if it goes on any longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.