Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mucus and blood in puppy poos

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by little_miss_kitty, May 31, 2010.

1. little_miss_kitty

little_miss_kitty PetForums Senior

Hi everyone

I’m hoping you can help. My cocker spaniel puppy has been with me now for 1 month. He was originally on Tesco Premium dry puppy food at his breeders but this was giving him very soft stools so over the course of 10 days we changed him onto Wainwrights puppy dry food. After a few days of being on this only his stools were nice and firm and dark but this only lasted for a few days and for the past week or so his poos have been very soft and have contained lots and lots of slime (almost looking like a slug has been passed amongst along side the poops). The past 2 days there have been little drops of blood in with the mucus and he's needing to poo a lot more regularly.

Luckily he has a vets appointment tomorrow morning to get his final injections but I’m getting worried. I’ve looked up this online and it looks like he could have 'colitis'

I ordered lots and lots of samples of puppy food as recommended on here and so have James Welbeloved, Burns, Skinner Arden Grange etc waiting to be used…..could it be the Wainwrights food that’s causing?

….I’ve also heard some dogs can be allergic to chicken and his Wainwrights is chicken flavoured so should I try gradually swapping his food to something else?

Thanks

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I would try something that is fish based and try not to panic as if it is colitis and it is diet related once you find the trigger food and eliminate it you pup will be fine, My rough was very ill with colitis last year but once we found he couldn't eat anything with chicken in he improved almost overnight.

3. little_miss_kitty

Thank you!!
    I have some James Wellbeloved salmon kibble. I'll try introducing that over the next 10 days. Unfortunately all the other foods I have seem to be chicken flavoured which looks like they will be a no go...I'll take them to puppy class in a few weeks and see if anyone wants to take them off my hands :)

4. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I am sure wainrights do a salmon and potato puppy food too you could try that.

Hope your puster is ok, i hate it when they aren't right.! :(

5. little_miss_kitty

Ah excellent. I didn't know that...I'll go have a look. He loves his Wainwrights so it will probably be easier to keep him on that if they do a fish flavour.

Tell me about it….I’m like an anxious first time parent :)

6. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

i had radley on wainwrights turkey and rice and i couldnt work out why his poo was exactly as you described, but without the blood. anyhow, i stopped giving him the wainwrights and tried vitalin (mail order) and he was absolutely fine on that........... however he has gone back to the chocolate mousse poos again now so can sympthaise with you (although they are not covered in slime this time, so presuming its just the change over having an effect)
    good luck x

just to add,i also tried the salmon and potato one from wainwrights.... he definately didnt like that one lol.

7. rona

rona Guest

Hope all went well at the vet

8. pricey28

pricey28 PetForums Newbie

Hi

Just wondering how you got on at the Vets I have an appointment for the same problem with my puppy and was wondering how you got on and what they said! I do have a feeling that its diet related. I am using Science Plan at the moment, was wondering if I should try and change her food, she has been with me a week and I have had her on Chicken and rice because of her stomach, she was better and started using normal science plan and this morning I am back to the same problem of bloody mucus runney pooh!!! Nightmare!!

Pricey28 :eek6:

9. little_miss_kitty

Thank you!

10. little_miss_kitty

I popped to pets at home after the vets and they have Salmon James Wellbeloved puppy kibble so I'll see how he goes on his lamb JWB first (so far he doesn't seem so keen though)

11. little_miss_kitty

Hi

Did you change her diet gradually? I’ve always been advised to introduce new foods slowly over 7-10 days adding a bit more of the new food in each day..maybe that could be why she had a bad tummy after she was back on the science plan

The vet just said that it sounds diet related and that the wainrights I had been feeding with him doesn’t agree so to try something else

x

12. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

hi just wanted to say i had the same with Ben, he is now on wainwrights salmon and potatoe and is doing great on it now, I also add some tree barks powder into his food, might be worth looking into getting some of this. Good luck hope he settles down soon.
    These dogs are a worry arent they.

13. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

TBH - my first thought would be to get her treated for lungworm rather than mess about with her food - when was she last wormed? pups should ideally be wormed monthly up to 6 months - I am pretty sure that Advocate has recently been licensed for lungworm - alternatively, Milbemax is licensed for it, but has to be given regularly over so many weeks.

If this isn't the problem - then it's not going to cause harm - but starting to mess around with food may cause more headaches than it solves.

If the worming doesn't work - then look at the food.

14. little_miss_kitty

Thanks for your reply. He was wormed at the breeders befoire he left and then again 2 weeks ago with Advocate and will be in another 2 weeks and then for the next few months (I have a big supply at home :) ) so hopefully worms are not the problem

15. little_miss_kitty

I've not heard of tree barks powder before. I'll go and have a look. Thanks for the tip!

16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Not sure if [email protected] mentioned it to you but they will take back the bag of Turkey and Rice and either refund or exchange no matter how much you have used.

Sorry to hear you have been having tummy problems with your pup. I had that with mine. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon. I know you said you changed foods over 10 days but be careful not to keep changing as that can cause problems too. It's hard to know what to do for the best sometimes :(

17. little_miss_kitty

Hello everyone

Turns out that Bodie had a very bad wheat allergy that is causing his colitis. Although we were feeding him wheat free food it didn't stop our friends giving him treats despite us asking them not to and a stranger feeding him a few Doritos last week when we had our backs turned which caused the diarrhea again. He now has a muzzle to wear if he is going to be anywhere near unfamiliar food.

On some advice we starved him for 24 hours over Friday and have since been feeding him on plain boiled roice and chicken with the hope to graduially introduce his normal food back in. We have had no more diarrhea and his poos are now nice and colid again and he is only pooping 2 times a day instead of 10!

However for the last few days they have been BRIGHT yellow :scared:(sometimes half bright yellow and half of the same poop a normal brown colour). Is this normal or is it something I should be worried about?

18. pricey28

pricey28 PetForums Newbie

Hi

I know with Roxy when she is was on chicken and rice she was half yellow and sometimes half brown it looked very odd!! We too found out that Roxy also has a strong wheat and gluten allergy, which also extended to chicken!! She loves it but it ended up doing the same to her as the wheat and gluten in the end! Watch out for that one!! :)

19. little_miss_kitty

I know Bo is definately very badly allergic to wheat...I didn't think to check gluten. I'd best check his normal food when I get home for that too. Thanks!

20. little_miss_kitty

Update! Bodie has been prefect on his rice and chicken the past 7 days so we gradually introduced his normal food with it over the course of 3 days..and then the diarrhoea started again so I popped him off to the vets yesterday.

He has antibiotics, poo samples for me to take, hills prescription food for 2 days and rehydration sachets. I am due to take him back tomorrow for a progress report and to drop of his samples.

Coincidently yesterday was also the day his worming was due so i wormed him with advocat as I have been doing every 28 days......and then today he has had passed worms in his poo and some of them are still live :eek:

I’m shocked as he’s never passed worms before and I’ve religiously used advocate every 28 days

I called the vets as we're off there tomorrow anyway but apart from chucking his poo in poo bags into the bin is there anything else I should do i.e disinfect the grass where he's poo'd, anyway I can kill the live worms once he's passed them?

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice