Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moving

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Anik, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Anik

Anik PetForums Member

Moving...

[​IMG]

Moving from the house to a second floor apartment with no-pets policy. I know that a few neighbors have indoor cats.
    We'll have to keep our cat inside :(
    He is such a free creature, walking in and out at any time he wants and now...
    Anybody had such an experience? Any ideas to share? Any way to ease this pain?

Thank you...

FREE SPIRIT likes this.
  2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

He will cry to go out for a while and your have to try think of a few things or new toys maybe to keep him busy. Empty boxes tapped together with holes cut out with treats to be found is quite good. Or one of them toys with a track going round in a circle and it has a ball built in it they can get there paws in to chase the ball but cant get the ball out. Remote controlled mouse or spider maybe .

3. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Totally agree. It's not as bad as you might think. My cat used to be an outdoor cat but since his brother died ive kept him indoors. After about two weeks he was/is fine. I bought him plenty of toys to keep him occupied and a couple of cat trees for him to jump about on and scratch on. The track thing that Sullivan is talking about is brilliant. He keeps himself amused with it. He also has a pop up cube that he loves. The track thing is called 'Play Circuit'.

CatIt Senses Play Circuit For Cats & Kittens Pets Toy on eBay (end time 03-Aug-09 11:21:54 BST)

CAT&KITTEN POP UP CUBE/PLAY HOUSE,RED,BLUE,GREEN,YELLOW on eBay (end time 22-Aug-09 19:09:01 BST) ;) :D

4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Thanks couldnt think of the name for it for toffee. Yep mine likes his pop up tent. Although hes nearlly killed it now have to invest in another.

5. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

LOL....My cats fave toy is that 'Play Circuit' and second fave is his 'Pop up cube'. I bought two spare ones as they were so cheap and yes they do tend to get ripped. :D

6. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

Truthfully i would let him out. I have a friend in the same situation. Nearly everyone in her block has a pet either dog or cat. She lets her cat out and he doesnt get upto anything. Its a large comunal garden which no one really uses. other ppl must let theirs out coz theres always one in the garden.

i think it wud be really bad for you to not let him out. even if you had to harness train him.

7. Tillski

Tillski PetForums Member

We might be in the same situation soon with Tilly, although she probably only goes out about 4 times a week for short periods. We have a 2 bed house at the minute with its own garden but we have to move soon and due to a decrease in the budget and the location we want we will probably end up in an apartment; a few of the nicer ones we have seen so far have no garden or communal space. As well as the outside/inside issue, does anyone have experience of moving a cat to a smaller home? We’re worried that she will miss the extra indoor room (especially if we loose the garden too; she is currently used to 2 reception rooms and kitchen open to her in the day as well as the study which she has claimed as her own room). So much to worry about! Although, she will be getting a new bigger cat tree no matter where we move to – lucky girl.

8. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I have an indoor cat whos more than happy to lie on the windowsill on whatever and watch outside. We did harness train him and take out with the dogs which he loves. Cats don't need to go outside but the harness might be a good idea.

9. Anik

Anik PetForums Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your posts and advices.
    You REALLY helped me. I got many great tips and ideas.
    Also good to know that it is not going to be as bad as I think.
    We'll try to keep him busy :p

10. Anik

Anik PetForums Member

So, here he is. His temper changed, he is not mean but not happy too.
    Our vet recommended to take him for walks on a leash. Hmmm...doesn't really work...
    :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

11. spid

spid PetForums VIP

mine are harness trained - with patience it does work

12. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

If you are on the ground floor I would let him out after a few weeks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice