Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moving

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MissusMayhem, Mar 30, 2011.

1. MissusMayhem

MissusMayhem PetForums VIP

Whos moved house with dogs?
    Can i have your best moving tips please :D
    My minds gone blank at
    - Check Fence
    - Order new tags
    - Change microchip

Whats happens on moving day?

2. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

We moved house with Rupert but just had him at the time.

I would take favourite toys/bed off the lorry if you've got one so its all there right away, Rupert was pacing about crying in the new house first night he didn't like it and I'm still not convinced he likes it very much..!

Wasn't much to do for him just make sure you have adequate food and everything. We moved 3 hours away so the lorry with all our stuff went at midday and we went at about 3pm with basics in our cars and I had Rupert in mine too, the cats and rabbit in Mum's car, lorry turned up 10am next morning (we got there 7pm night before).

There really wasn't much to it just don't pack poo bags/leads away etc :)

3. MissusMayhem

just worried about when everything is being brought in ....
    might arrange a play date for him on moving day
    keeps him out of harms way
    what do you think?

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

How far away are you moving? I just kept Rupert onlead and we made sure our stairgate went on the lorry last and was off the lorry first so it could go on the kitchen and he was shut behind safe etc if I didn't want to hang onto him.

Rupert wasn't bothered by all the moving about but I guess if you think your dog might be you could arrange a play date again depending where you are. Wasn't practical for us as knew nobody here bar family who are not all dog oriented :)

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I had someone look after my dogs.

Moving is stressfull enough, I didn't want them gettin stressed and lost or something.

I made sure their things were unpacked first.

6. MissusMayhem

moving close by its 10 mins away
    hmmmm definatly something to think about :)

7. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

I have moved with Sonny twice. Once when he was about 4 months old and a second time in September when he was 1 1/2 years old. I was moving within the same village so was not going far at all and moved most things in the cars and got a loan of a horse box (well not a horse one but similar can not remeber what it is called) it move the large stuff. Sonny was always with me on lead.

First move was from a tiny rented house to a larger rented house he had already been in the house a few times before everything was moved over and he loved having the extra space so moving was easy :D The second move was back in with my Dad and as he looks after Sonny when I am at work he is used to his house anyway and he has a garden so again he was pleased but took a few days to realise that we would not be leaving. I moved resonably gradually over a few days/week so did not have a large moving day as such. I think if you are going to it may be better for the dog to get to someone for the day so that they are not too stressed - and it is alot easier to try and move things without having a dog on a lead to trip over :rolleyes:: (been there done that).

8. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

When we moved here 11 years ago was with my little staffy we had keys week before so just brought him over every day to wander round house and garden my son moved over night before us with dog so he was already there when we moved furniture over :)

9. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I suppose it depends on your dog, we moved last October with Toby & the two cats. It all went really smoothly. I took Toby out for an extra long walk whilst my OH & the removal men loaded the lorry.

The cats were in the bathroom during this time with their litter tray & some toys.

I took the cats with me & my OH took Toby with him then all met up at the new house. We arrved before the removal men so got put the cats in the psre bedroom upstairs & Toby had a sniff round the garden beofre being put in the living room with a pigs ear.

It all went really smoothly, none of the animals seemed upset - I was worrying so much about how they would cope before hand.

Didn't you say that you were moving to a place with a big garden? We moved from a flat to a house with a huge garden & Toby loves it it so much, he seemed to adapt so well to the change.

Before we moved in we checked the fences & when we got there we done several check in the garden to make sure there was nothing that could cause him harm but it's been great

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice