Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moving to Sweden and need help

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by MonicaBondevik, Nov 21, 2018.

1. MonicaBondevik

MonicaBondevik PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm planning to move to Sweden next year and I desperately want to bring my three-year-old chinchilla Picchu as she's the only family I have. Is there anyone on here that can help me with flights and what not (what airlines will allow chinchilla or anything like that)

Attached Files:

2. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

I suggest you call the airline you wish to fly with to get exact info. Each airline often has its own rules so what applies to one may not another, especially where what type of carrier is required (sometimes they don't allow plastic to prevent escapees and need to be certain dimensions etc). In most circumstances the chins will need to go in the hold which is actually better for them as it does get hot in the cabin.
    You'll also need to find out if you need any vet paperwork in order to enter Sweden.

3. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I suggest you first contact the Swedish agricultural board to see what if any rules they have about chinchillas. They only lust cats dogs and ferrets on their website but may have similar or different rules. As the UK is rabies free that may not be an issue.

I also suggest you contact the relevant airlines and ask. Some airlines will want animals to travel as hold luggage and some may be happy for animals in cabins. I can imagine such a journey would be very stressful to your chinchilla. It may be that coming over via vehicle (I appreciate it is a long route) may be less stressful.

There are several animal pet import companies out there. It may be worth contacting them about your circumstances and see what they say. They will be used to dealing with all sorts of animals and should be able to advise. Even if you want to go do it yourself instead of using a transport company it's probably best to make out you are seeking quotes from them just so they will be happy to provide the information you require.

A quickbgoogle pulled up these. No idea what they are like but could be a good start in your fact finding mission.

https://scandipet.com/import-into-sweden/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice