Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moving to Australia

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by poppysmum, Mar 26, 2011.

1. poppysmum

poppysmum PetForums Junior

Hi
    I am after a bit of advice. My hubby has been posted to australia for 2 years but we are unable to take Poppy with us( which is breaking our hearts). I really dont know whats the best thing to do for her.
    At the minute Im trying to get someone to look after her for us for the time we are away. Im not too sure if this is a good idea, would it be kinder to rehome her? I dont want to leave her for 2 years then come back and take her away from a home that she has been happy in. I really dont know what would be the best for her. :confused:

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

May I ask why you can't take her?

If taking her really isn't an option though, then I think it will be best to rehome her. It wouldn't be fair on her to make her go through the upheavel of being rehomed, settling down into a new family and staying there for 2 years, and then being uprooted again and coming back to live with you. Within 2 years, she would view the new home as her owners I'm afraid.

3. poppysmum

We are moving into army housing.

4. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i think if it was me, as much as it would break my heart, i would have to rehome.

its not fair to let them get settled for two years, and then take them away from that environment again. and the new family would no doubt get very attached as well.

plus, who knows, you might end up staying there for more than two years.

5. poppysmum

How would be best to rehome her?
    Would it be better for her to be rehomed through the rspca or some other dog rescue? Or do I find her a home? Ive never done this before so I have no idea what would be best. :(

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh poor you and Poppy. I left my cat at home in NZ with my mum when I moved over here. When I go back (with McKenzie) it will be 2 years since I left her :( I think it's different with a dog though and agree with the others that it's probably fairer to rehome. No idea how you go about it sorry.

7. SixStar

SixStar Banned

If it was me, I'd want to rehome her myself, at least then you can pick and choose the home she goes to. With the RSPCA/dog shelter, although they'll find her a good home, you have no say in where she ends up. Doing it by yourself you can vet and grill potential owners, do home checks and maybe even ask them to stay in touch via email.

Would any friends or family be willing to take her? What breed is Poppy and how old?

8. poppysmum

Im going to try friends & family. She is a weimaraner/border collie, she is 18 months old.

9. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

You could try Breed rescue for either of those breeds. I am sure they help out with crossbreeds as well as pedigrees and will take far more trouble finding her the right home. Failing that, Dogs Trust are very good I am told. The RSPCA would probably not take her. I hear that they only take dogs who are being neglected or ill treated.

I know what I would do, but then you most probably won't like my suggestion so I shall keep it to myself.

10. SixStar

SixStar Banned

It's good she has age on her side, she'll settle into a new home no bother I'm sure. When's the move?

11. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Am I not the only one thinking send the hubby to Oz and stay at home with the dog?! :eek: I know that's what I'd do anyway :D

12. poppysmum

Im intrigued. If you have something to suggest please do.

13. poppysmum

That would be a good idea if he could take the kids too :p

14. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Apologies if I have missed something but why did you get a dog knowing that your husband could be posted abroad?

15. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Oh, you read my mind!

16. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Sorry, after I had posted that I somehow thought it could be taken as something awful! Most on here know I am a person who loves being single, so now you know. I would welcome 2 years break for the OH, but that's just me.

17. poppysmum

We didnt know he was getting posted abroad, he's never been posted abroad for more than 6 months before. If we'd have known that this was a possibility we would never have gotten Poppy or bought our own home.

#17 poppysmum, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  18. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

My Uncle was in the RAF him and his family had a Cocker Spaniel, Bonnie. Whenever they were posted abroad my Nan and Granddad had Bonnie live with them. Then when my Aunt and Uncle & family came back to the UK they all stayed at Nan and Granddads for a few weeks and then moved into RAF accommodation with Bonnie. Bonnie remembered her first family and didn't seem to be badly effected by the accommodation changes, which happened a few times.

If you can find a good caring foster home for Poppy then I see no reason why it couldn't work out.

Good luck :)

19. poppysmum

No need to apologise I didnt take it wrongly. I would love a break too but unfortunatly I cant convince him to take the kids on his own :D

20. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I am rather surprised that the British Army are posting people to Australia? We are talking about the British army, are we? I am sure all those men who have ended up in Iraq or Afghanistan would have preferred Australia.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice