Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moving New Dog into a New House with another pet owner

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Michaella75, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Michaella75

Michaella75 PetForums Newbie

I recently adopted a sweet beagle mix from a local shelter. I'm familiar with the breed and although she has proven to be quite stubborn, I think we're getting along fine. However, timing has not been on my side, which I'm afraid might cause further behavior problems with my new dog. I was supposed to bring her home nearly a month ago, but due to some health complications on her end, her coming home was delayed. I am now set to move into a different home very soon, that I think will be much better suited for a dog (because of quiet location, green space, etc.), but I'm pretty nervous about this transition. Not only will my dog be living with some new people, but there will be another dog there, who currently considers this place "his territory." Though both dogs are very mellow, there will undoubtedly be some issues we encounter. I'm also worried because she is still not house training well and I'm concerned the stress of all the new things might introduce new behavior issues and cause her to be even worse off in terms of being house broken.

I know the timing wasn't great, but I think once we all settle in, this new house will be much more comfortable for her. Does anyone have experience with moving their dog in with another pet owner? It's hard to find resources on this topic online and I'd so appreciate the guidance.

2. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Has your dog met the other dog? They should really meet on neutral ground well b4 just turning up on another dogs home territory, that really could cause a nasty set too! Ideally you need to meet & greet out on a walk & let the dogs have a nice walk together a few times so the home dog considers your dog a friend to be accepted on his territory, not some interloper who has suddenly turned up! Also remember when you do take her to the new home to feed the dogs seperately and remove the home dogs toys, bones etc to an area that is his aline to start with otherwise you may have problems with food guarding or toy guarding & if that starts you will have more than house trading to sort out. I'm assuming your Bitch has already been spayed or the dog neutered too.
    Hopefully things will go well & your girl is accepted, her house training may well go backwards if she does find things very stressful but the main thing is to ensure both dogs become 'friends' before the proposed move, just pointing the above out as you did note the home dog is on 'his territory'

3. Michaella75

We started by giving each of them something that smells like the other and are planning to let her walk around the house to sniff things out with the other dog removed, all before introducing them on a walk or at a park. Yes they are both fixed! They have pretty different structures, as he free feeds, doesn't play much with toys, and doesn't need crated. She on the other hand eats at set times, is playful, and does get crated. This will take more work on the human end than dog though, I'm sure :)

Most concerned with "ruining" her or causing long-lasting anxiety by moving from place to place, but hoping if handled well this doesn't happen.

4. Michaella75

We started by giving each of them something that smells like the other and are planning to let her walk around the house to sniff things out with the other dog removed, all before introducing them on a walk or at a park. Yes they are both fixed! They have pretty different structures, as he free feeds, doesn't play much with toys, and doesn't need crated. She on the other hand eats at set times, is playful, and does get crated. This will take more work on the human end than dog though, I'm sure :)

Most concerned with "ruining" her or causing long-lasting anxiety by moving from place to place, but hoping if handled well this doesn't happen.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  5. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

All sounding good; you may find becoming same home companions brings out the best in both of them. Be careful if he free feeds as she may well attempt to eat his food if it's out all the time & that could be a potential flare up.
    Only time will tell if it's going to work out.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Ensure you have the room/set up to keep them separate should it be necessary if they don’t get on in the long term as management will be key for a happy life for all.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice