Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moving my cat to a flat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by KayleighG, Apr 9, 2017.

1. KayleighG

KayleighG PetForums Newbie

Last year I brought a cat, and then unexpectedly got into University, so when I moved my Dad offered to look after her for me.
    My Dad is now moving and can't take the cat with him, because he's moving in with his fiancé and she has a cat who is very unhappy with other cats, and to be honest I'm desperate to take her with me.
    I live in a 4th floor flat, which does have a garden but no cat flap. She loves being outdoors and I really don't think she'd be happy being inside all of the time.
    I need any advice on how she can access the flat by herself throughout the day. I was looking at getting a ramp so and keeping a small window open so she can get in and out but any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!

Didn't make this clear before, we have a balcony that is fire escape steps so we were going to do a ramp from a window onto the fire escape which isn't very high at all

#1 KayleighG, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  2. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

a 4th floor flat? it would have to be a very large ramp!

3. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome. I can't really advise on this. But didn't want to read and run. Would your neighbours let her in? Is it a communial entrance? Other than that you may have to keep her in. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Viv xx

KayleighG likes this.
  4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I certainly wouldn't advise a ramp,4th floor is a hell of a hight of the ground.
    If that is your only option then I would suggest she has to become a house cat,which I'm sure is not what you want for her.
    The only other option I can see would be to put a cat flap in the main front door and one in your flat door too,but that would depend on how cat friendly the other members of your block are as you would need to be able to trust them not to interfere with her access.

KayleighG and moggie14 like this.
  5. KayleighG

Haha I didn't make it clear. We have fire escape steps down to the garden so we were thinking a ramp from bedroom window onto the fire escape stairs

6. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I have to say I wouldn't want a cat going outside onto a fire escape from a 4th floor, its just too high in case anything happened. I've lived in a flat with cats and it just isn't feasible, unless you're on the ground or maybe first floor, putting in a catflap and expecting the cat to climb four flights of stairs (or take the lift :D) straight to your door. What if someone else's door were open (possibly with a dog inside) or your cat decided to hang around on other floors, some people are funny about things like this. I know this sounds drastic but if you're expecting the cat to look after itself all day every day then things happen.

7. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

This still sounds pretty dangerous to me, not meaning to be overly negative, just think an outside cat is going to find it very difficult to live in a 4th floor flat

Also, a ramp onto a fire escape could be illegal.

8. KayleighG

It's a huge fire escape, people sit on it and have furniture out there for BBQs, and there's also a cat on the floor below who manages it, but I don't know how they let their cat in and out so wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions

9. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

My first suggestion would be ensuring that people remove their furniture from your fire escape. If you ever have a fire you may be glad you did this

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice