Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moving House

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Walkerl, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Walkerl

Walkerl PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I have two cats, one is older at 11 years and one is a lot younger at 2 years. They have always lived in a home with a garden, however, i will be moving into an ground floor apartment that does not have a private garden.

I am aware that they will be kept in for 4 + weeks to acclimatise to their new surroundings. I am really concerned about the older one and potentially i might not allow them outside due to traffic.

They currently live with my Mother, i don't know if it is best to keep the older with her.
    Does anyone have any tips and advice on moving two cats, the best way to keep bad behaviour to a minimum (spraying) and general help.

Thank you
    Lucy

2. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Hi Lucy,

If your cats have always been used to having outside access, then there is a chance they may not adapt to being indoor only - there are those who claim any cat can, but I know different through experience. I also have two cats, a 14yo and a 6yo, and whilst the youngest probably could adjust to being indoor only, the older one simply can't - she gets genuinely depressed if she can't go outside for several days, so to deny her outside access would be cruel.

The only way you can find out is to try it. Personally I'd advise keeping them in for 2 months at least, and that should also give you a good idea as to whether or not they will be happy without ourdoor access. If they are fine with the new arrangements, then as you are worried about the traffic keeping them as indoor only cats would be a good idea. If not, then you'll have to reconsider your options.

#2 Jesthar, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  3. Walkerl

Walkerl PetForums Newbie

Thank you, that is really helpful. I think the guilt of moving the older one would be too great, I think I will try and move the younger one and see how things go.

Thank you again :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice