Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moving house

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by denflo, May 7, 2017.

1. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

Flo is 16 and normally pretty healthy although does have quite a small appetite. Yesterday we moved house, I've been packing for a while and started moving in on Thursday but I only brought Flo over to the new house yesterday. Since then she has been hiding in the bedroom. She's ventured downstairs only a couple of times and once used her litter tray. She still drinks her water, but I can't get her to eat. I know this is probably just stress from moving but is there anything I should do to help her? She was such a happy little girl yesterday but now she's confined herself to either behind a chest of drawers or under the duvet. It's so upsetting and I feel so guilty about what I've done to her. I plugged in two Feliway diffusers and have used the spray all to no avail. Anyone any suggestions? Should I be doing/not doing something? Tried to tempt her with chicken but she only are three or four small bits and she's had about 6 Dreamies, I'm so worried.

2. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

Bless her. I wouldn't be too worried about her not eating at this point. I'd suggest shutting her in the room she is in, give her food, water and litter tray in there. Let her hide if she wants. Sit quietly in the room with her, but allow her to decide whether to approach you, rather than trying to stroke her. I'm sure she will come round very soon.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I would take a soft cloth and rub it around Flo's neck and cheeks and then rub the cloth on the doors, furniture etc at the height her head is when she walks around the new house. This will spread her scent around and hopefully might help her settle in. I would do this every few days for a couple of weeks.

A cat's primary attachment is to 'place' (their secondary attachment being to their humans) and it is quite a big challenge at Flo's age to adapt to a new territory. Such changes must feel rather scary to her atm, and it will take her time to adapt, and feel secure in her new territory.

Perhaps adding Zylkene to her food might help her feel more confident.

https://www.medicanimal.com/Zylkene-for-Dogs-Cats/p/I0047794

Shrike and Jackie C like this.
  4. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

Thank you both, I will def try the cloth wiping trick. I can't really add anything to her food at the mo as she's not eating. She has ventured downstairs just a while ago and had a small taste of chicken juices from my dinner, hopefully that'll give her a bit of energy for a little while. She's now retreated again to the bedroom. I really hope she settles soon, this just feels awful and I'm beginning to regret moving in the first place

5. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

You might find if you leave some food down overnight when its quieter, she will eat. It takes a few days for cats to get used to a big change like this so don't worry too much. Have you got some bedding or other things with familiar smells on which you had on at the old house you could have around which might help her settle.

chillminx likes this.
  6. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

Everything has been brought with us so lots of familiar things and smells for her. Her food and water are on a rug which we brought with us in the bedroom, she keeps going to sniff the food but won't eat it. I'll be so much happier when she does.

7. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

I'm sure she will be ok given a little time.

Where did she have her food in the old house? Put her bowls down there. If she is venturing to come down and use her tray that is a good sign.
    I would try to carry on as normal - put the TV on etc and don't unpack too much just yet. Try to relax and I'm sure she will start to eat when she feels that you are at home.

denflo likes this.
  8. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

I hope so, I'll never forgive myself if I cause her any harm by this. I've put food and water bowls in the kitchen (as before) and in the bedroom so hoping she'll find something tempting soon. Just not sure if I should leave her alone or be with her, she seems to like it when I'm with her and comes to see me, even purring, but then hides away again when I leave her - I'm so thankful I've got next week off work.

chillminx and huckybuck like this.
  9. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

If she likes you with her I'd sit upstairs with her this evening.
    I did have a cat who spent nearly 2 weeks hiding in our dressing room when we moved to this house - I put a litter tray upstairs and some food for the first couple of days but then moved everything to its proper place - he would come down to use the litter tray and eat but then go back up again.
    After 2 weeks he suddenly was ok. I think a lot has to do with scent as CM said and once the new house has taken on your smell she will be ok.

I would be tempted to try Pet Remedy diffusers rather than Feliway and maybe put a Beaphar spot on calm on her too.

chillminx and denflo like this.
  10. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

Thank you, that makes me feel a bit better. Have just done the cloth wiping like CM suggested, I'll look for the Pet Remedy plug ins too. She's just ventured downstairs to have a look around and has now gone back to the bedroom again, I'm hoping that may be progress, even if only a little. I've persuaded her to eat about 10 Dreamies too - not ideal I know, but I'm happy with anything at the mo

chillminx likes this.
  11. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

My old boy moved house with me 3 times in all ! Each time it took him 7 - 10 days to settle.

The only thing I would add to what the others have already said is not to let him out for about 4 weeks (the same as with a new cat) so that he has time to orientate himself to his new home.

12. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

I'm very much hoping Flo will become a totally indoor cat. She hasn't been that bothered about going out for the last couple of years anyway and so far has shown no interest here. But I certainly will keep her in for at least 4 weeks!
    On a positive note, she has started to eat and look around the house so I'm hoping she's feeling better!

#12 denflo, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
    MilleD likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice