Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moving house with 2 cats advice

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by becky.park, Aug 25, 2018.

1. becky.park

becky.park PetForums Newbie

Hey!

My parents are in the slow process of moving from norfolk to the midlands. My Dad is starting his new job but the house is not yet sold. It seems there's going to be several months in which my parents are spending several nights a week in the midlands away from the cats whilst the slow process of sorting a new house takes place. (Whilst they're away there will always be a friend who will feed the cats). My cats are used to my parents being our during the day but coming back in the evenings. When my parents do go away for a few nights the cats are very affectionate upon their return and are quite clingy with them for the following few days.

We're considering whether it would be a plausible option for me and my husband to foster the two girls for these months so that they have companionship and someone to keep a close eye on them rather than them simply being fed by someone who pops in and out just to feed them. I raised both girls, Ebony (11) and Mieze (6) from kittens back when I lived at home, and I go home often so I've maintained a very close relationship with them both.

What we're not sure about is whether it would be more stressful for them being on their own for significant amounts of time and not having much human companionship or effectively moving house twice, once to mine and again to their new home.

Any advice would be a great help!

Becky

ewelsh likes this.
  2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@becky.park
    That is tricky.
    I would be inclined to leave them in their current home. They do have each other and my worry would be they would become used to you and your home. Right now as I understand, they still see your parents but not as often.

3. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome

That is a difficult one.

Ummmmmmmmmm how far away do you live from your parents current home? Could you pop over a few evenings to keep them company?
    Or
    You could try them for a weekend at yours only if you don’t have pets of your own and monitor how they are. This is how I would do it, but before bringing them to yours, take a few items of your clothing leaving it at their home, so they become familiar with your scent. Association.

At the end of the day they have each other and are in their own home but just lack human attention which in time might make them withdrawn.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice