Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moving House - Main Road?!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Georgiex, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Georgiex

Georgiex PetForums Newbie

Hi, I’m hoping to move to the house pictured (end house). This is where it’s positioned - just beside a main road with a big junction, speed limit is 30mph. I’m really worried about my cats safety. They’ve always been around roads but never ones this big and busy. My boyfriend keeps saying they don’t like noise and will stay away from it, keeping to the countryside at the back behind the house, but I’m really paranoid about it. Would love to hear people’s thoughts about if this road is too busy or if there’s any way around it.

Attached Files:

2. lea247

lea247 PetForums VIP

TriTri, Rufus15, Lurcherlad and 3 others like this.
  3. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi Georgiex
    The cats won’t stand a chance there, sorry. You need to cat proof the back garden extremely well, or have a catio in the garden, or keep them indoors with lots of security in force so that they can’t get out of the doors or windows, winter or summer (very difficult to ensure if other people use the house/visit), or re-home them.
    I’ve rehomed many rescue cats and would never ever consider re-homing cats to such a dangerously busy position. Please don’t listen to anyone that tries to tell you anything different. Also, if you risked it and they survived, it’s likely a passing cat lover would take the cats and re-home them, with you left wondering what’s happened to them. Chances are a vehicle would hit them first.

#3 TriTri, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Georgiex - please don't even think of letting your cats out with such a busy road and a junction right outside your new house. It would be asking for trouble.

The fact the speed limit is officially 30 mph means nothing. There will always be some mindless idiot breaking the speed limit and one of your cats could be crossing the road at the time. In any case a cat being hit at 30 mph will sustain serious injuries, possibly life changing ones.

You cannot rely on your cats staying around the back of your house and in the fields behind you. Cats so often find that roads are a magnet and they want to cross them. I am afraid your b/f is wrong, they won't be put off by the noise of the traffic, as many a cat owner has learned to their cost I'm afraid.

Soozi, Pinto, Lurcherlad and 3 others like this.
  5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

There is no way I would ever consider allowing a cat to free roam in that situation ,I'm not even sure I would risk cat proofing the garden.
    You would be better either to build a secure cat run or keep them indoors ,its just too risky .

Soozi, Rufus15, Lurcherlad and 3 others like this.
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

^^ this

Soozi, TriTri, Ali71 and 2 others like this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I wouldn’t risk it tbh.

A securely cat proofed garden or run would be my only option.

Soozi, TriTri and Rufus15 like this.
  8. Minuscule

Minuscule PetForums Senior

Some outdoors cats would be very difficult to keep indoors but I agree I wouldn't let them out in the current conditions.
    As the other said, I'd look at securing the garden / build an enclosed area so they can enjoy being outside without risking their life with this road.
    Are you buying or renting?
    While you get this sorted, could you walk them in the garden with a harness? So they can enjoy a bit of fresh air without going on the road.

TriTri, Ali71 and Rufus15 like this.
  9. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

I can only repeat what's already been said, it's far too dangerous and cat proofing is the best option

10. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Hi @Georgiex I live in a very similar situation to this, on a busy intersection, and there is no way I'd let my cats free roam here. Despite the fact there is a wood and fields behind the houses I've seen dozens of cats cross the main road to go further into the estate rather than towards to woods. The cat who lived six doors down was struck and killed right outside our house last year and other regulars have disappeared :(

I cat proofed the garden so mine have safe outdoor space.

TriTri, Treaclesmum and chillminx like this.
  11. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Cat proofing is the only answer! The road looks like a an accident waiting to happen. If your cats don’t like the noise of the traffic there’s even more likelihood they will spook and run mindlessly into to road.

TriTri and chillminx like this.
  12. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

I would absolutely no way risk letting my cats out there...I'm sorry. 30 mph limits are not worth the signs they are written on, as has been said by others.

Every single day on the local FB groups I hear of some poor baby who has lost their life to the road. It's just not safe.:(

Treaclesmum, chillminx and Soozi like this.
  13. Georgiex

Georgiex PetForums Newbie

Thank you guys for the advice! This was my original thought and to be honest whatever the response, I don’t think there’s any way I could let them roam outside and not be worried sick! Luckily the garden is quite spacious so thinking of buying a big cat enclosure and lots of toys/things that will keep them entertained inside the house. I have two cats - one is almost 6 and doesn’t bother much with going outside, he’d quite happily adjust to house cat life. The other is only 2 so very active and likes being outside a lot. Obviously the pet enclosure in the garden will help but does anyone have any suggestions for helping the younger one adjust? I’ve been reading a lot about it and I’m even considering buying a really long lead and taking him for a walk in the fields, and chilling for a bit so he can play around in the field. Anything to make them happy!!

Ali71, chillminx, TriTri and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice