Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moving House/Country

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Rebecca Squires, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Rebecca Squires

Rebecca Squires PetForums Newbie

Hello all!

I am new to the community but was hoping to suss out a bit of advice on my situation.

I moved with my small cat, Harriet, from Canada to Amsterdam to start a life here with my Dutch boyfriend in April. I have spent the last 5 months off of work and school during this transition. I am happy to say we have both adapted well to life here! However, I am now moving to Ireland to start medical school. It has always been implicit she would come with me but I am now beginning to worry about the stress of another move along with my very different schedule. I will not be able to spend as much time with her as I already have on top of moving to a completely new place. Furthermore, my boyfriend will be remaining in Holland and I will be her sole carer for at least a year.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with their cat(s) and a drastic life change such as this. My main concerns are stress, loneliness, and all that comes with it.

Am I worrying needlessly? She is a rescue cat and has proven to be very resilient but I just want to do what is best for her.

Cheers guys! Xx

Attached Files:

2. saartje

saartje Hallo

:Jawdrop You are leaving our lovely city already after such a short time.

I think it would be unsettling and stressful for the cat to be moving again such long distances, but this is my personal opinion. Others maybe able to give you some advice.

3. Rebecca Squires

Hi thanks for replying!
    Yes unfortunately I will be leaving but I won't be staying away for too long :)
    I am beginning to think the same thing. I thought perhaps she could stay in Amsterdam for a few months with my boyfriend until I get settled in.

saartje likes this.
  4. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Ummmm that’s a difficult one. I am thinking longer term here, obviously you will be back and forth to visit your boyfriend so who will look after your cat when your away? Or will he be going to see you in Ireland?

You could leave your cat who is already settled with your boyfriend and you get to see you cat on your visits home! But does he work long hours?

I think you need to put your feelings aside and work out if it’s you or your boyfriend has the most time to spend with your cat. That’s your answer. :D Good luck x

chillminx likes this.
  5. Rebecca Squires

Thanks for your reply! Yes he does work rather long hours, which makes this all the more difficult. I'll take your advice into account! I believe you're right, a move is something we can get through but the more important thing is her comfort in the long run! Thank you!

ewelsh and chillminx like this.
  6. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

It very much depends on the cat. If she's easygoing and not a stress soul, a move may be Ok, but I'd suggest you move a few weeks before you start med school to allow her to settle. Wherever she lives, she will be left alone as you will both work long hours. If she's more bonded to you take her with you. If she's more settled with him, then leave her there, providing he's not also moving of course.

Ottery likes this.
  7. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

I agree with @carly87
    As both you and your boyfriend are out of the house a lot of the time, Harriet will be on her own a lot whether she stays in Amsterdam or moves with you. But the current flat is a familiar environment for her so could be the better option. Have a think about what would work best for her.

8. Rebecca Squires

Hey guys!

Thanks so much for the advice and support. This has been a tough decision for me as Harriet and I are very attached. However, as of now we are thinking that I will move and settle myself first. My boyfriend will bring her along when he visits late next month. Hopefully at that time I will have a home prepared for my sweet girl!

As he is planning on relocating eventually the move is inevitable so we’re just going to focus on mitigating any potential problems.

It’s going to be tough to leave her for now but I think the stress of the move along with a drastic schedule change might be too much at once. Staying positive that this is what’s best for her!

Thanks again for your input. It really helped!:)

ewelsh likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice