Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moving house and two cats meeting for the first time.

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Charlongo, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Charlongo

Charlongo PetForums Newbie

Hi folks I need some advice here. I am going to be moving house in a couple of months (hopefully). I am going to a new house that my mum is also moving into with her cat. Both cats are pretty unsociable and have never met. What's the best way of doing as it's going to be two new situations - moving house and meeting each other.

Do you think I should take my cat to my mum's current house to introduce them before we move (my mum's cat is a lot more chilled than mine - she's 12 and mine's 1).

I have had suggestions so far of:

Just put them in the same room and let them settle their differences (not such a good idea I think!)

Put them both in separate rooms and let them settle in those rooms (when moving all the stuff into the new house). Leave them with a cloth or towel that has the scent of the other cat on it so they get used to it. Then let one cat out to explore and let it settle. Then let the other cat out to explore and then they will eventually meet.

I have a Feliway diffuser and some rescue remedy (used due to a previous problem, as per my previous post of my cat being aggressive to me, this has much improved)

Any more advice?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

The second idea sounds a good one! Some introductions take longer than others, though!

3. flev

flev PetForums Member

Can you try swapping towels with the other one's scent on before you move?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice