Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moving home

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by dottylottie27, Jul 27, 2009.

1. dottylottie27

dottylottie27 PetForums Junior

Hi peeps,

I am moving house on Saturday. I have 3 cats and they are obviously coming with us. I was just wondering whats the best length of time to keep them inside for before they venture outside. I was thinking about 5/6 weeks???

Two of them are very outsidey cats and just hope they will cope with being inside for that length of time...

Thanks
    Lottie:)

2. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I have always left it a few weeks. 3/4 most likely. For some reason I always put butter on each of their paws (my mother told me to do this when I was 13 and it I have always done so) then they lick it off and I am assuming it tastes nice and then they re-trace their steps back or something old wife-ish like that.

It works.

Another thing is when they do go out make it just before feeding time, let them have a wee sniff around and then shout them in for feeding.

Best of luck with the move.

#2 Milly22, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  3. Emma_Williams

Emma_Williams PetForums Junior

My mum heard this and tried it on her bengal. She completly covered his paws with loads of butter and put him down outside the door. He just looked at her and then the garden and suddenly span and ran right through the house! Was a very messy not to mention slippy path all over the house. Finally found him on her bed. He had covered her bed in butter too. Made me laugh as she loves old wifes tales and it totally backfired :D :001_tt2:

4. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

This is what i did, And it worked beautifully! :D Just slap on a bit of butter on the paws, and done! :D

5. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

I was always told at least a month or more if better. It to make sure they feel secure in there new home so they will return and so they make there own territory.

6. dottylottie27

dottylottie27 PetForums Junior

Hi everyone...

Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

As for the butter thing, someone told me about that the other week and i didnt believe them but i have to say now that i have heard it somewhere else there must be some truth in it!!

Thanks once again,
    Lottie
    (Leeds,UK)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice