Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moving home advice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Boxer123, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Myself and the boxers are moving in a month. I feel worried this will unsettle them. They have been on holiday loads and are fine but panic if I go outside without them (only to grab something from the car they are not allowed to be left alone in the holiday lets)

My plan is:

They will have our furniture so home smells.
    I'm going to get a plug in aptimal for anxiety.
    First couple of days I won't go out without them.
    Then I will pop out for a short period of time.
    If they are ok together I will start the separate walk routine again (Loki goes first)
    I have three weeks before I'm back at work.

My other worry is Loki only has one ball that has dropped. He will need to be castrated as the vet said it can cause cancer. I have two weeks off before we move. He will be 10 months do I do it then or will that really unsettle him before the move. Alternatively I can wait until October half term when he is one ?

Very worried Boxer mum

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Your plan for settling them in to their new home sounds good - it will definitely help that they will be surrounded by all your furniture and belongings, I’m sure.

I would wait until October for his neutering op as being left at the vets will be unsettling in itself.

Torin. likes this.
  3. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

That's what I was worried about not the best summer having your nuts cut off then moving home.

Lurcherlad and SusieRainbow like this.
  4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

@Torin. moved recently and might have some suggestions?

Torin. and Boxer123 like this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have moved a few times in my life and now we have the holiday home as well so that was like a move the first time we stayed there. Honestly, my dogs have never given a damn. Home is where I am as far as they are concerned. Maybe because I have never thought about them getting unsettled they have been quite happy with moves. When we moved to the first house on the farm we had 4 dogs and it was a total culture change for them but they settled straight in. A few years later we moved to the other house on the farm and again they did not seem to notice the difference. They slept in the utility room in the new house where they had always slept in an outbuilding - but that seemed to make no difference either. I would just do the move and let the dogs do it with you as though it was no big deal. Good luck with your move - very stressful for you.

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

McKenzie has lived in 5 different houses so far and she’s never really had any particular problems with moving.

Elliot has only ever lived here, but I’ll likely be moving in around 6 months and he’s a bit more sensitive than McKenzie so I’m not sure how he’ll take it, so I’ll be following your posts :)

LinznMilly and Boxer123 like this.
  7. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

It is Sox I'm worried about more than Loki Loki sleeps wherever he lays his hat.

8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Thank you Sox always enjoys his holidays but gets a bit worried about being left alone. Loki I don't think will be as fussed.

Blitz likes this.
  9. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Member

It sounds exciting but the unknown is always a bit scary too.You seem to have a good plan to help the transition,so I'm sure that will help.We've not moved but we did get a cottage in Wales when we had our previous dogs (in recognition of the fact that our holidays would change drastically)They were with us when we first went to see it,if we hadn't had the paws up from them it would have been a non starter!Anyway,they always moved backwards and forwards between the two places with no problems at all and little Maci does the same.I think as long as you are there they would be fine anywhere.If Sox is a bit more sensitive,maybe try to keep to his routines as much as possible,which I know can be difficult when you're just moving in.If it's not too far away,could you have a drive there and give them a walk nearby,start to introduce a bit of familiarity with the area.It sounds like a good idea to leave the op until the autumn.You wouldn't want him to associate it with the new place.I know it's stating the obvious,but try not to stress about it because they'll pick up on that.And let us know when you're in and we'll raise a glass with you.

10. puppymadness

puppymadness PetForums Member

We moved 6 times when we had Bella and she was always fine she would go to mums the day we moved as lots of comings and goings. She adjusted fine the hardest thing she found was when she knew her things were being packed up. Xx

11. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

No advice - just wishing you well with your move:)

Boxer123 likes this.
  12. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Thank you I'm trying not to stress to much I'm still fretting about leaving because it was lilies home but otherwise looking forward to the move.

13. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Thank you my neighbor has offered to have them whilst we move. I've been packing and throwing things out slowly.

14. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Thank you.

15. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Thanks for the tag @JoanneF :)
    Cadvan is a reeeeeeally sensitive dog, so I took care where others wouldn't need to even think about it!

This is the thread I made when I was planning, which I kept updated post-move as well:
    https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/moving-house-with-a-dog.502944/
    [Although my plans for moving day itself didn't work out, I kept Cad with me except for when my dad took him into the old house garden on a long line. He was very minimally stressed by the day itself though, and thought it was all pretty exciting. Our problems were before and after!]

To help with general 'new environment' anxiety, I swapped the routine as to how I left him alone. In my old house he had access to 2 big rooms, the downstairs loo, and the lobby when I was out. My new house is a bungalow though, so I spent some time working out dog-leaving plans alongside general 'what room is which' plans. Which did involve buying two more baby gates (for me needed over closing doors given I was settling a cat in too). And then, specifically, I swapped to similar setup pre-move so that it wouldn't be a sudden change all at the same time.

Our biggest issue was that Cad completely forgot he was house trained. I went right back to the beginning, and picked a new cue phrase too. So I was pretty thankful that I'd taken the above time and effort with regards to being left alone as that situation could have been much worse without!

Re. health stuff, the first thing to note is that there's not been any specific studies done on how long it takes for dog stress levels to return to normal; the best we currently have is applying info from other species (namely people and horses). So in light of that I agree with not castrating at the same time as moving house. The cryptorchid cancer risks are real, but Loki being under 1yr now shouldn't mean things are imminently bad. I would discuss with a trusted vet though, who can likely give more specific info on overall health including stress factors, but later on after the move sounds better to me.

lullabydream and JoanneF like this.
  16. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Thank you for your detailed response my two currently have access to all of the house which I am hoping can carry on.

Torin. likes this.
  17. puppymadness

puppymadness PetForums Member

Congratulations on your new home you will ALL be soon settled xx

Boxer123 likes this.
  18. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Thank you

19. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I'm sure the boys will settle very quickly. Dogs are so adaptable, and having all your usual 'stuff' will help a lot too.
    I agree with waiting until October to neuter Loki, it's a pretty uncomplicated procedure even if they have to fish around for the shy testicle, he shouldn't need much time to recover really. Keeping him away from the incision mainly.
    Good luck with everything!

20. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Thank you poor little fella I have a week off in October so can look after him.

tabelmabel and O2.0 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice