Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moving home advice needed...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by StuNo1, Oct 12, 2013.

1. StuNo1

StuNo1 PetForums Junior

Hi,

I am moving home soon and this will involve my cats being in the back of our car for almost 1 hour.

I have feliway spray for the cat baskets I am moving them in and feliway for the kitchen they will be in while we move. My questions are as follows:

1. Is it better to transport them separately or in a dog basket?
    2. How long before I let them out at the new house?

Cheers

Stu

2. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

When I bought and collected April it was a 4 hour return journey, she didn't have a problem with the journey. The other week I transported a kitten that was around a two hour trip. 1 hour shouldn't be an issue.

I think others would recommend keeping them in for a minimum of 4 weeks.

3. StuNo1

StuNo1 PetForums Junior

Hi, thanks for the reply. Is one big dog carrier or separate cat carriers better?

I don't think 4 weeks is realistic. Both are outdoor cats and that is a VERY long period of time to be kept 'locked up'.

I thought 1 week would be adequate time to familiarise themselves with the property?

Stu

4. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

1 hour should be fine - I took Mia (who does NOT travel well unfortunately) to her new home the other week & it was 2 hours and she was fine:)

I could put them in separate carriers just in case one gets more stressed - but these could be put side by side or so the fronts are opposite so they can see each other

1 week is NOT enough time when you move before letting them out :(

I'd certainly recommend 4 weeks (and have done this with Archie who was used to being out all day, every day) - they need time to get used to the new smell of the house, realise that's their new home, look out windows and see the new garden to know where to come back to, new smells & noises outside etc - it's a big deal to them!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice