Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moving from crate to nothing :)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Weezawoo, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Weezawoo

Weezawoo PetForums VIP

Lottie is now nearly 5 months old, time flies!

So far she hasn't had a night out of the cage, I tried one evening in the kitchen but she leaps over the baby gate! So I had to shut the kitchen door, this then causes both dogs to make noise as soon as they know we are upstairs. While we are downstairs they are fine as I thought I would get them used to it first!

The only reason I thought the kitchen was better is there are a lot less items to be chewed and pulled down :) also puppy is still not 100% housetrained which I'm rather annoyed about! If she can't get outside she will just pee so the kitchen is best for this!

How did you go about moving them from the cage to the room? The cage we have is too small soon so she can't have it forever and we don't have space for a larger one!

2. Halifu

Halifu PetForums Member

We have 2 dogs that were both crate trained.
    Charlie our choc lab is now 19 months and takes himself to his crate when it's bed time in the evening.
    Zak our Ridgey out grew his crate, a while ago.
    We just made sure everything was safe before we went to bed & left his crate door open.
    When we come down in the morning he was fast asleep on the sofa.
    And that's how he's been ever since.
    When we were away on hols recently he didn't like being in a strange place at night,so I had to sleep down stairs with him:(
    Where as Charlie had his crate and felt safe.
    So crates are still handy.

3. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Well for me it was a bit different so I'm not sure this will help you as Kes is very trustworthy chewing wise and has been housetrained from 11weeks but...we used to crate her if we were out the room and we gradually built up slowly so she could be alone for a few minutes to 5 minutes then eventually around 10 minutes. After a month or so of that I was quite happy to have a bath for half an hour while she was in the living room, most of the time she ended up just sleeping on the sofa. She's 10 months now and we only took her crate down 2 weeks ago.

4. Halifu

Halifu PetForums Member

Just read your post again, Defo would make sure toilet trainning is sorted or you'll be setting up for a mess to be cleared up in the morning.

5. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

Well I personally wouldn't get rid of the crate until dog is fully house trained.

Daisy took until 5 months to be house trained. She is not crated over night, but is when I go out - as I can't trust her to not chew :rolleyes:

6. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

We put Indie in her crate if we went out and at night from day one. She only really chewed her own toys so at about 12 weeks (ish) we started leaving the crate door open if popping out for 5 - 10 mins at a time, as she was fine it became permanent very quickly but we still had the crate for her. We had to take her crate with us when visiting family one day, Indie was about 16 weeks, and when we got home we didn't bother bringing it back indoors again but left her in the utility room when she was left. Builders arrived and needed constant access to the back door so we then shut her out of that room but she had freedom of the rest of the down stairs. So far, so good.......
    I think it just kind of evolves, you know your dog so you know when to start giving them a bit more freedom. Good luck!!

7. Weezawoo

Weezawoo PetForums VIP

Thanks all :) I leave her for 5 mins while I go upstairs for whatever reason and so far its been fine. She (so far) hasn't been a big chewer of anything apart from her toys, she does try to pick up a shoe or two but doesn't chew it, more a possession thing.

I am really struggling with the toilet training as I don't know what more I can do, she goes out for regular breaks, shes good at going when I tell her to. Just sometimes I am sat in the front room, she will wander into the kitchen to the back door. I will watch her and she stares at me like yeah open the door then, if I don't notice her she will wander out wait for 30 secs and then go on the floor. Although I was so proud of her the other night, I hadn't noticed her disappear at all (I was on a game) and next thing I heard this little whine, she had a lot of praise for that! Then last night she piddled on the kitchen floor, not even giving me any chance to get there! I feel like a very bad dog owner as if I am doing something wrong!

We haven't had any mishaps overnight in the crate for quite a while, the last time was her being sick so not really her fault.

Oh the other weird thing is if there is a blanket or teddy in the crate she pees on it so she sleeps with nothing at the moment and has done for a couple months since a really bad spell of her going over night!!

I don't really know how to get her completely housetrained :(

8. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

It will come. I thought Bess was housetrained, then suddenly there'd be a puddle or pile in the hallway. Then we'd go a few days with nothing and I thought I'd cracked it again - when she'd have another accident.

It was around the 5 month mark that it the gaps grew longer and longer, and then nothing at all! You'll get there. Some seem to take slightly longer than others.

9. Booties

Booties PetForums Senior

I might get berated for this, but hear me out! :eek:

I've never used a crate or playpen.
    I work from home, so I can take the puppy out for a garden break every hour-ish. In the night, I would set an alarm to wake me up twice for more garden breaks.
    It was a fair bit more work, and I know not everyone has the time/patience to do so, but she was basically completely house-trained by 4 months. If we needed to go out for a longer period of time, she would be shut in the bathroom- still room for her to run around but nothing to chew and no carpet to ruin. Luckily our bathroom is separate from our toilet :)

I think crates or pens are good if you don't have a lot of time, but I personally never felt the need for one in the first place.
    If you don't have the time to let the pup out frequently, I would keep the crate until house-training is complete. :)

10. Weezawoo

Weezawoo PetForums VIP

But am I cruel for keeping her in one too small? It's only just when she sits really straight the top of her fur pokes through :)

11. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I have plenty of time (all day!) but still think that a crate is good; used correctly it isn't a lazy option for folk who can't be bothered and don't have any patience. It doesn't mean that the work put in is any less that those who don't use them.

My puppy still gets taken out for frequent toilet breaks and certainly isn't shut in all day. What it is is a nice safe, dark, place where a pup can retreat for some space if he wants whilst still being with his family. They are also great for ensuring that the house and dog remain safe when they cannot be directly supervised and for 'enforcing' rest when a pup is overtired and needs to settle. The bonus is that if the dog ever has to fly, needs confining for medical reasons etc it shouldn't be too stressful. My current pup is 8 weeks old and had two accidents on the first day home and none since - he'll go to the back door, whine or out when told now (notoriously easy breed to toilet train and my other dog was the same).

I'll give you an outline of my night last night and day today so far to show how I use one - I don't think it's cruel in any way.

2230 - Crate
    0230 - Alarm set to go for toilet break
    0450 - pup whining so let out for toilet and got up for the day
    0630 - crate to give older dog space as pup too hyper after playing; just for 5 minutes
    0740 - crate for me to have a quick shower and walk big dog - still fast asleep when we got back at 0905
    1400 - crate for 5 minutes to calm - slept within 2 minutes and door opened and left open (still asleep now)

Pup will be crated again this evening for me to walk big dog, cook dinner as I can't supervise the dogs and need to at all times at present having only had pup for a week and probably for a few minutes here and there to settle him down.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice