Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Moving dilemma - please help

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sequeena, Aug 2, 2009.

1. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Me and the OH are thinking of moving. When we were out walking the dogs today we went past my cousin's flat (it's a house that got split into a flat). My cousin lives on the top with his fiancée and their dog and no-one is in the bottom flat.

I haven't been able to get hold of my cousin yet but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Pros;
    - Would probably be less rent to pay
    - Probably wouldn't need a bond as the council were doing up the place
    - Much bigger garden for the dogs
    - Closer to the beach (even though currently I only have to walk 2 minutes, from the flat I would be able to see the beach)

Cons;
    - I have always said that I would hate to live in a flat. I would be able to hear the people next to me
    - If I do happen to fall pregnant we would have to move as I think it's only a one bedroom flat
    - The garden is big but the indoors will be smaller. Sky + small space = not good
    - It may not be private so in that case I might have to go on the council waiting list
    - It's opposite a pub. There is a pub at the end of my street but this pub will be straight across from the flat.
    - Right next to a busy road. I'm worried one of the dogs would accidentally get out one day.

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I would say no due to the busy road, the main thing that would make me turn away from a house is a busy road but, If you can make the garden 100% escape proof then go for it. Our house isn't huge and Henrick manages fine. Oh and I would kill for a view of the beach.

3. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

By the sounds of your cons list you may already know the answer? I would suggest it's not the best place to move to by the cons list. Unless it turns out to be a 2 bedroom :)

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Looking at your 2nd and last cons I would say leave it hun.

It is not worth the hassle you know you want kids, and if it is one bedroom, it would be horrible trying to get settled when you know you would have to move again. Moving is very stresfull!

It would not be worth the worry of your dogs getting out either. You need to be somewhere you can relax.

Also the first con- I say I will Never live in a flat again, I could not live upstairs as I like the door open to the garden and stairs + dogs + child = disaster!
    I would get sick of hearing folk walking above my head! Lol

Best to hold out for somewhere you know you cans settle, feel safe and not have to worry :)
    Lots of places in town have come up to rent, but we are holding on until one comes up where I know we will be better off and happy.

x x

Inca's Mum likes this.
  5. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

I agree tbqh xx

6. Ladywiccana

Ladywiccana PetForums VIP

Stay where you are huni, what if you moved and then further on down, the line your cousin moved, what would you do then?????? lots to think about, but i for one would stay put!

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Thanks guys, I think I've answered my own question too.

thedogsmother - the wall in the garden is just higher than Sky. Candy is a bugger for wandering if she can get out (which she will) and Sky will no doubt follow her.

Haha the beach isn't all that great tbh. It's nice living next to it but I would much prefer a pebble beach - no sand!!

Poisongirl - Thanks for the advice I think you're right. Having moved twice in 4 months I know how stressful it is!!

The main reason the OH wants to leave is because of the rent (£500) and because this house is crap. No double glazing, no central heating (we have a boiler), kitchen is outdated, we don't have a bath and my landlord (who is meant to be the OHs friend) accused me of stealing some of our rent money once :eek:ut:

I feel selfish for wanting to stay in a house that I hate :(

8. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

True. You never know who's going to move in :yesnod: I don't think I want to live so close to family either lol

9. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

When wanting to move home it can be very easy to get caught up in the moment and think "that looks a little better, it'll do". So at least you took a step back to look at the bigger picture and realise it's not the best step.
    Can you find another house in your budget?
    No central heating is crap, and no double glazing! But I thought a boiler meant central heating :confused: I am blonde, that will always be my excuse for being dim if I ever am ;)

10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I suppose it is central heating but we don't have the new small boilers. We have the old massive boiler that takes up half a room. Even my mother has a new boiler and she's really behind the times :rolleyes:

We have had another offer from my best friend's dad. He lives in a new build in a nice area. 2 bedroom, smaller garden than what we have, big fence, it's next to the comp but you don't notice because of the fence. There is a busy road outside the cul de sac (sp?) but there is a massive field :yesnod:

He said the rent would be less as he only needs money to cover the mortgage. He's moving in with his girlfriend and so would be leaving a lot of furniture there which would be great.

Now this seems really good but he's not moving until at least Christmas time which means another 3-4 months of trying to get by on bugger all :(

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Oh yeah I remember the nonsense with your landlord!
    Just keep looking, something better will come up.
    If you say you would hate to live in a flat, dont. Lol. I refuse to go back to a flat. It would depress me!
    Your rent might be expensive, but it's not going to be forever!
    And you have moved twice in 4 months... So what happens if you do move in, then fall pregnant. You would either have to move bfore baby is born to get settled so s/he can have their own room, or move once s/he is born. And neither moving with a baby (born or not yet) is not a good idea!

x x

12. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Never straight forward is it :rolleyes: Sometimes though if something is worth waiting for it is worth the cr@p that comes before.
    But, sometimes it can mean it's the wrong decision. Oh man, what a dilemma.
    Although it means you have time to make up your mind about whether or not it is the right thing to do. Good luck with it :)

13. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Stay put for now but keep tabs on the new build one sounds like it could be interesting, living by a school is no problem except on the drop off and pick up times, there's a primary school in our street and our garden backs on to it, during school holidays and evenings its bliss. :D :D plus no-one is overlooking you at the back

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Oh yeah, what a day that was lol :001_tt2:

I'll just have to talk the OH into staying lol

You're probably right. I just hope Andrew (my best friend's dad) stays with his girlfriend long enough to move out! :rolleyes: If it does go through it will be the best thing for us. It's right next to work for him and much closer to my mother for me.

If we get this house it will be backing onto the school also :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice